Registering members of the "Scouter Reserve"

1. Is there a way for the council to review and approve members of the “Scouter Reserve” to support the national rules and regulations?
  2. Is a role-function title field in Scoutbook that can be used to describe the “unit scouter reserve” person’s role for reports? Where is it entered?

I am not sure if this is a feature request or bug report.

2022-10-23-B

Scouter Reserve

My understanding being a member of the “Scouter Reserve” is a special position requiring council approval.

• Council position: District position code 91
    • 21 years of age and over
  • Unit position 91U
    • 21 years of age and over

Scouter Reserve. Individuals 21 years of age and over may, upon approval of the local council, register in the Scouter Reserve of the Boy
Scouts of America by paying the registration fee required of a Scouter.

Individuals so registered may serve in the following ways: as faculty members of Cub Scout training courses; assisting in organizing and training in connection with Cub or Scout units, Venturing crews, and Sea Scout ships; as hosts and hostesses; and by helping in finance and public relations campaigns.

They may serve as members of fathers’ and mothers’ clubs, parents’ clubs, and auxiliaries of units.

Members of the Scouter Reserve may wear the universal badge of Scouting to signify their affiliation.

©2020 Boy Scouts of America

College Scouter Reserve

College students who will commit themselves to an informed interest and active participation in the program, whenever possible, may be registered in the College Scouter Reserve

per Rules and Regulations of the Boy Scouts of America®, September 2020, ©2020 Boy Scouts of America, page 13.

College Reserve, Council

• district position 92
    • also assignable to non-unit-registrants, e.g. Lone Scouts
    • no age limit found in BSA® national rules and regulations

College Reserve, Unit

• unit position 92U (Scouting BSA)
    • Adult Leadership Requirements, “Minimum age - 21, except SA, 92U, who may be 18”, per 2019 registration guidebook, page 10, is incorrect and misleading.
  • unit position 92V (Venturing BSA, Sea Scouts BSA)
  • 2017 article: Unit College Scouter Reserve helps former Scouts stay connected, By Bryan Wendell, January 19, 2017
    • 2017 statement “When a young man turns 18 and heads off to college out of town or out of state” appears to imply incorrectly that a college student who was a prior Scout cannot be attending college as a regular student prior to age 18.

References

For more references see:

Glossary

“scouter reserve” not listed in:

Previous Discussion

2020-11-07-AB DRAFT

They would certainly be reviewing the council position version. There’s less review likely of the unit position but a good commissioner relationship should help there. Generally, if the individual is paying and has YPT, they’ll probably be left alone, but as a reserve position, a good commissioner relationship will likely find out they are participating regularly and actively and get them switched to a more fitting position than reserve. I will say the Registration Guidebook has not been kept up to date as the technology has changed, so it’s a pretty poor resource nowadays. It doesn’t even mention council-registered merit badge counselors, and that’s evidently a thing now. It only has them as district positions.

Agreed. This is a non-issue. Unit Scouter Reserve is a unit controlled position. Only the council can designate someone as Scouter Reserve. No report needed.

1 Like

Merit Badge Counselor (MBC) Registration

@brantgurga - Part of your reply is off-topic and misleading.

• The registration guidebook is a data entry guide for council registrars and professional registration staff.
  • The district is a geographic division of the local council and not separate from the council.
  • The MBC’s preferred service area is still identified on the MBC information form which may be found in the registration guidebook:
  • Including the district id on the position record allows reports to more easily generated for district merit badge coordinators (and district merit badge deans)

Continued discussion of MBC registration is off-topic and should be in a separate discussion.

2022-10-20-D

Registration of members of the unit Scouter Reserve

@brantgurga @Matt.Johnson

Thank you for your relies. I am looking for unit level documentation for members of the “Scouter Reserve”. The BSA® national rules and regulations appear to be a legal document for implementation of the BSA national bylaws.

I am looking for more documents about registration of members of the unit “scouter reserve” (Position 91U) that affect myScouting tools (including Scoutbook)

Note that this discussion is not about inclusion of Akela membership data in myScouting tools reports.

2022-10-22-F

@Bill_W Did you ever find a good answer for this?

GTSS in the FAQ for the new registration requirement policy lists Unit Scouter Reserve as an acceptable position to qualify for spending the night at Troop events. It would be nice to have the actual job definition. My DE says our council is discouraging that, in favor of ASM or Committee Member. However, not all adults are suited for those roles and yet they may be able or needed to support a camping event with the proper YPT and background check that Unit Scouter Reserve would provide.

@Dave_K

See Unit College Scouter Reserve helps former Scouts stay connected to troop and Ask us anything! We answer some of your most frequently asked questions

Also page 8 of https://www.scouting.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Rules_Regulations_July2023.pdf

@edavignon I appreciate your help. However, I’m interested in the position description for a unit parent adult, not a college-aged former Scout.

There seem to be 3 reserve positions that I can determine

1. Unit College Scouter Reserve - Focused on college-aged former Scouts
  2. Unit Scouter Reserve - This is an actual functional position that can be registered in and approved by the COR for a unit adult. It is also listed in the GTSS FAQ as qualifying for troop overnight events.
  3. Scouter Reserve - By definition in the linked Rules and Regulations, appears to be a council-level position supporting council, district, and some unit training. Per the R&R doc, “*Council and district Scouters and those registered in the Scouter Reserve. At the expiration of the council year for which they are issued” further indicating that this is a council position.

Strange that the GTSS new policy which was a result of the settlement and has had much legal review lists “Unit Scouter Reserve” but the Rules and Regulation doc does not. Strange, but not surprising :neutral_face:

@Dave_K

The 2nd two links I provided describe Unit Scouter Reserve. Bottom line there are no “duties”, it is just for someone who wants to be registered but only helps the unit periodically.

Scouter Reserve is similar to Unit Scout Reserve but at the District or Council level.

1 Like

The main difference between “Unit College Scouter Reserve” and “Unit Scouter Reserve” is that UCSR is for age 18+. USR is for age 21+.

The “Scouter Reserve” position is a district and council-level position.

We are using Unit Scouter Reserve in order to allow parents/caring adults to attend overnight camping trips. The challenge I am seeing currently is that we cannot see this distinction on our roster in either My.Scouting or Scoutbook.

We’ve worked closely with Council to implement this program at our Troop level, and it seemed to answer a lot of concerns that both our parents/caring adults had, as well as the compliance issues faced with the GTSS.

What distinction are you looking for? I’d expect the position name would be shown.

@VinceTirri - here are the views in scoutbook and myst

myst_usr

sb_usr

@VinceTirri Are these parents / caring adults registered in the Unit Scouter Reserve position?

Have they completed the adult application form (can be done online for most), current YPT, paid the fee, agreed to the criminal background check (CBC), and are approved by the Chartered Org. Rep.?

1 Like

Correct! The only limitation is that they are not allowed to complete any leader specific training, otherwise they MUST be registered as leaders, and tracked as such.

The process we’ve used is as follows:

1. Adult expresses interest in participating as a USR
  2. Adult completes YPT
  3. Adult completes Adult Application & Background Authorization and submits these along with copy of YPT certificate and check for registration fee.
  4. All documentation is reviewed and submitted to Council for processing.

Hope this helps!!

@VinceTirri What is the distinction that you are asking about?

Unit Scouter Reserve and Unit College Scouter Reserve positions are registered adult leader positions.

@VinceTirri - as you can see from my post above if registered in the Scouter Reserve position it is listed in Scoutbook and my.scouting.org

1 Like

USR can do whatever training they want - it is just there is no training other than YPT for the position

1 Like

Interesting… I’m going to have to contact my Council office… I can’t add those positions to the individuals we’ve registered as USRs.