#'s are different between Scoutbook and Internet Advancement

I have 2 issues that seem to have similarities. I’m sure I’m missing something but can’t figure out what.

1. We have our calendar dates on the SB calendar. I mark their attendance for campouts. But when I run the troop Activity report some campouts appear and some don’t. How do I make them all appear on a scouts activity report?
  2. I have a scout who should be eligible for OA so I looked to see why he wasn’t on my SB OA eligible report. His Internet Advancement shows he has camped 22 nights over 9 trips. But his Scoutbook profile shows only 6 nights total.
    I was under the impression that SB and IA would sync, but in our case I can see it isn’t.
    So what am I doing wrong?
    Thanks,
    Amy

Amy,

The Scoutbook calendar is not currently linked with the activity calendar in IA. Marking attendance in the Scoutbook calendar will not credit the Scout for attending the campout (for example).

There is only one activity log. Go to the Scout’s profile and make sure the Date Joined Scouts BSA is set properly. This date is used to determine which camping nights qualify for OA.

Thank you. I did check him on Scoutbook and the Internet Advancement and both have him starting in 2016. So that wouldn’t be the problem this time.
Thanks for your help.

Amy,

Post his BSA Member ID (not name) and we will investigate

I appreciate you looking into this for me!
OA eligibility report only shows 6 short term nights.
IA report shows 17 short term nights and 5 long term.

@AmyMitschke In order to be eligible for the Order of the Arrow, the nights of Scout camping while registered with a troop, crew, or ship must be “within the two years immediately prior to the election”. So if an election were to be held today, you would look at nights of camping starting from 2 years ago (4/20/2019).

Looking at this Scout’s camping log, I only see 6 nights of camping from 4/20/2019 - 4/20/2021. His other nights of camping are beyond the two years immediately prior to the election.

The OA Eligibility Report should only show nights of camping 2 years prior to the election date while the Internet Advancement Activity Report should show all nights of camping based on various parameters that you can select.

2 Likes

Thanks Jennifer, I think I understand but would like to see if my understanding is correct.
When I look at the scouts book he has camped many more nights than is actually recorded in IA. He has 6 nights in 2016, 8 in 2017, 6 in 2018 and another 5 im 2018. So this would have qualified him if it’d been tracked and recorded properly, correct? (he’s also on staff at our nearest Scout camp each summer (4 weeks last summer)- would that count towards his camping nights?)
Thank you!

@AmyMitschke - anything older than 2019 will not be counted for OA qualified camping.

2 Likes

You can find the specific eligibility requirements listed on the OA membership page.

If the election were today, a scout would need 10 short-term and 5 long-term camping nights since 4/20/2019.

That said, the OA has temporarily adjusted the camping requirements for 2021. Long-term camping can be satisfied by short-term and/or virtual nights, but they seem to indicate that those nights should be unit organized, and they must all still be within the 2 year window.

2 Likes

@AmyMitschke I would recommend that you add any missing nights of camping to the Scout’s camping log. Nights of camping can also be counted as part of the BSA’s National Outdoor Awards.

If the Scoutmaster approves, the nights camped as staff at Scout camp can fulfill the long-term camping requirement. That would give him 5 more nights, but he would still need more short-term nights of camping in 2019, 2020, and / or 2021 in order to be eligible.

Wow! Y’all are awesome!
One (hopefully) last question. So this scout is almost completed with his Eagle project and has been very active for years (was our Jr Assistant Scoutmaster last election). According to him and his father he has never been told he was eligible or has been listed on any OA election ballot. And since I’m obviously new and still learning I’m trying to understand why. Following the Membership guidelines he has been registered, has done the 15 nights including summer camp each summer, has been First Class and is under 21.
So what is the part I am missing? This is all probably moot at this point, but I still want to learn so it doesn’t happen again.
Thank you!!!

Serving as staff at summer camp (assuming 4 weeks straight) would only count towards the long-term camping requirement.

If the election were held today, he would have 5 nights of long term camping (summer camp staff, if his Scoutmaster approves), 6 nights of short-term camping, but he would need 4 more nights of short-term camping in 2019, 2020, and / or 2021.

It might not be moot. Does he have other short-term camping that is not in his camping log for 2019-2021?

1 Like

Yes! He has over 60 nights of camping in all. Each year he averaged going to 5 Troop weekend campouts a year.

@AmyMitschke If that is the case, then the Scout might be eligible. I would recommend having your Scoutmaster contact the OA elections team to see what (if anything) could be done for this Scout.