Scoutbook Pack Forum

I saw some old posts on this but nothing current. When I click on our pack forum in Scoutbook it brings me back to these forums and says to ask the question.

How do i set up a forum for our pack??

Hi, @DavidLafko,

The last I heard, there was a way to activate the unit forums from inside of IA2 (scoutbook.scouting.org). I suspect you need to be one of the Ky 3 or a Key 3 delegate to make it happen. Our unit already had a unit forum when the forums switched over to discourse, so I’ve never actually tried it myself.

Ok I am a Key 3 Delegate when into the IA and clicked on forum and it just brings us back to the general Scouting Forums. from IA do you know what to do next?

Hrm. Ours is already set-up, but try this:

I logged in to IA2, and went to the gear icon in the top right corner. Under there, select Settings. Under settings, scroll down to Unit Settings. Mine says “Go to Private Unit Forum”, but yours might say “Set up Private Unit Forum”…

@DavidLafko - in IA, select the unit, then click on the gear in the upper right, then scroll down and on the right side I think there will be something about enabling unit forum.

UPDATE - Charlie beat me to it with better content

1 Like

Ok Great thanks found it. Now how do we use it. This is on the page but it says i should be able to edit it but i can;t figure out how to.

@DavidLafko - I just left that one alone as there is no edit so I just started a new topic

Ok Cool Thanks
Do you guys find the forum very valuable? We are just getting into the digital uses from scouting.

Our older forum had more traffic, but our new one is largely a repository for links to documents and institutional knowledge so we can point people at the forum instead of having to dig them up again.

I know other units have a thriving unit forum, though.

Certainly more options available in these forums with drop and drag content. Like anything else, you can lead a horse to water, but you cant beat it to death. Levels of buy-in and participation may have to be driven by sheer enthusiasm and repeated “Hey… it would be really awesome if we used this…”

Great thanks Guys appreciate all your support and insight.

1 Like

What can you drag and drop? Text or more complex documents?

For our troop, I created a template for meetings since our PLCs were all over the place. After doing that, the Scribe pulls up the forum on their school issues chrome book. The school we meet in has a tv with HDMI. They go over the next month to 6 weeks and fill it in. They now have done this on their own after I made the template months ago. This works for me as SM as I don’t have to coach them at every step (I get to let them do their thing). The other big thing is I, and any ASM can look up what the PLC planned without making paper copies or anything. So for us? It has been very very nice.

2 Likes

Matt,

Would you be willing to share this template and your instructions on how to do this. I am very much intersted in doing something like this. One of my scouts takes notes but it is only in his google drive from school and we have no troop electronic means to keep up for historical purposes.

Pretty much anything I’ve tried to drag-n-drop has worked. PDFs, Word and Excel files, and photos for sure.

1 Like

Here is our template. Since it is marked up, I am also including a download of the raw marked up text. template.txt (2.5 KB) …

Meeting - Baird School

6:20-6:30 Pre-meeting
6:30-6:40 Opening
6:40-6:55 Skill Instruction
Explain and Demonstrate parts of EDGE
Ideally there are visual examples or handouts. Can use powerpoint.
6:55-7:15 Skill Development
Guide and Enable if same topic
Ideally hands on
7:15-7:30 Patrol Meetings
Cover Patrol Business
7:30-7:45 Inter-patrol Activity (aka Game)
Can be a scout skill or just a game
7:45-7:50 Scoutmaster’s Minute
7:50-8:00 Announcements & Closing
8:00-8:15 Post-meeting

Meeting - Baird School

Ideally hands on
Cover Patrol Business

Meeting - Baird School

Ideally hands on
Cover Patrol Business

Meeting - Baird School

Ideally hands on
Cover Patrol Business

List Next 6 Meetings and 1 campout, set big topics
11/26/19 - PLC
12/3/19 - Lashing take II (square, shear, diagonal) and Campout Planning
12/6/19 - Campout
12/10/19 -
12/17/19 -
12/31/19 - PLC

1 Like

How do we edit permissions to the pack forum? Our leaders can access the forum, but none of the non-leader parents can, despite being connected to their cub in our unit in Scoutbook.

Also, how could we setup a moderator in case a post needs to be moderated in some way?

Stuart,

Parents are supposed to be automatically given access to the unit forums. I have notified BSA IT that this is not working again.

Key 3 are supposed to be moderators. The moderation capability in unit forums is limited by what Discourse permits, which, unfortunately, does not provide a lot of capability.

Thanks, good to know I’m not going crazy. What about k3 delegates (like me)? If I won’t have moderator access, that’s fine, I’ll just need to train up our K3 so they know they are the only ones that can moderate.