Scoutbook wants to award a Palm to an Eagle that has only earned 25 Merit Badges

And as a leader that has a career outside scouting, a family, and other volunteering roles, I have not the time or place to read through countless “forums” on the changes.
My scout in this instance completed his EBOR prior to the “Change Date to 2022” requirements, and they still changed him. In fact, we had two Eagles in the same time frame, both completed EBORs 30 days apart, the council admin approved them on the same day, and the first had no issues, the second created this nightmare.

@ChrisPratt - sorry but not sorry that you missed the announcements from national abd hopefully your own council.

Having worked in IT and programming for a long time - it is my opinion that this is a PROGRAMMING ISSUE. The program should know that any Scout that COMPLETES his Eagle Rank after 6/30/22 - would need Citizenship in the Society.

By the same rational - someone could have a Scout listed as the 2016 requirements and complete his Eagle requirements in 2023 and the program would not know that the Scout needs to complete Citizenship in the Society.

In my opinion - the ONLY time that items such as 2016 or 2015 or 2018 requirements come into play - deals more with Merit Badges. Historically, for MOST Merit Badges (not all) - the Scout can complete a MB based on the requirements when he or she started the MB.

That said, anytime that their is a drop dead date in an advancement requirement - that is what should be used in the programming.

1 Like

This is not correct. Eagle is not complete until the Eagle Board of Review is done. Citizenship in Society is ONLY required if the Scout does not complete all other requirements prior to July 1, 2022. Since Scoutbook does not require leaders to enter all requirements except Merit Badges into Scoutbook to complete Eagle, the system has no way of knowing if the other requirements are done before July 1, 2022.

By the same rational - someone could have a Scout listed as the 2016 requirements and complete his Eagle requirements in 2023 and the program would not know that the Scout needs to complete Citizenship in the Society.
This is why all Scouts who had not completed Eagle were switched to the 2022 version and a note saying how to move the Scouts back to 2016 was included.

Because the Guide to Advancement gives a Scout 24 months from completing the last Eagle requirement to completing the Eagle Board of Review, the drop dead date for the 2016 Eagle requirements is July 1, 2024.

If we had a Scout that could not earn Eagle because they turned 18 after July 1, 2022 and completed every Eagle requirement, some after July 1, 2022, except CIS, because they were still on Eagle 2016, we would have a lot more complaints than a Scout having an issue with a single palm that was easily corrected.

1 Like

In support of the above statements about changes to Scoutbook here are some more resources:

Some sources for News

Some References

2022-06-13-B

Hi, i did not read all comments so this may have already been stated.
For my Scouts who were close to finishing their Eagle before the June 30, 2022 deadline… I simply went into their advancement record and selected the Eagle v2016 for each of them.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.