Scoutbook wants to award a Palm to an Eagle that has only earned 25 Merit Badges

I have a recent Eagle that has completed 25 Merit badges yet Scoutbook claims that he has earned a Palm. when looking over the issue, I see that those that know more than I do, added Citizenship in Society to ALL scouts. For this particular scout, even though he has earned Eagle, scoutbook entered Citizenship in Society on his advancement at 0%. Thus flipping my scouts 25th MB into the Palm requirements and giving him 5 earned MB’s for the palm. This is a glitch that NEEDS fixed. A scout needs to EARN 26 MB’s to earn a Palm.
My leadership had to break the news to the scout that on his Eagle Court of Honor he will not be receiving his palm that scoutbook shows he is due, he will have to wait until he completes his next MB.
Troop 5072 Buckeye Council.
Scout ID: 128210428

Please post a screen shot of the MB section of the Scout’s Eagle and the first palm. I have a theory about what may have happened but I need to see these pages.

Individual Advancement.pdf (129.4 KB)
BSA History.pdf (167.9 KB)
These are Garrett’s Advancement Reports

The added MB is the issue…no theory
Below is the Palm Screenshot

Search and Rescue is his last MB in the elective section of his Eagle requirements and Scoutbook moved it to his Eagle Palm

@ChrisPratt

The problem is the Scout had Eagle completed while on the 2022 version which requires Citizenship in Society instead of the 2016 version which is what he earned. I’ll ask if the developers can switch him to 2016 then his palms will be shown correctly. If they can’t the workaround is for your Council to remove approval of Ealge, then you can remove the completion date and EBOR date, switch to 2016, restore the completion date and EBOR date then ask the Council to re-approve Eagle.

1 Like

Wait…why would we have to do a workaround when my scout completed his requirements and EBOR before Cit. in Soc. became mandatory? this is more of a Scoutbook issue not a 2022 completion in the year issue. My thinking is that a trigger date should be set that those scouts that do not complete the eagle requirements by a certain date are required to complete Cit in Soc. This is a glitch that should be able to be easily taken care of by the developers and not create more work for those that are already short staffed.

1 Like

Because the Scout was not switched to the 2016 version of Eagle prior to it being marked complete and approved by the Council. I have asked if the developers can switch his Eagle to the 2016 version which would fix the problem. The workaround I described is how you would be able to switch the version to 2016.

My suggestion to wait and see what the developers say about switching the Scout to the 2016 version of Eagle.

1 Like

We’ll wait.
Dumb question, that maybe my council did not fully disclose. When is the date that Cit in Soc required as an Eagle required MB? Didn’t Garrett complete his Eagle requirements and EBOR BEFORE the new MB requirements and worksheets were released? In all honesty, we have not heard much about this merit badge or what it entails
Let’s hope the developer are able to fix this, because I have a feeling that our scout in not the only one that has this issue

1 Like

@ChrisPratt

CIS becomes required July 1, 2022. Garrett did complete Eagle prior to this date, however, the version of Eagle that was marked complete in Scoutbook is the 2022 version.

At the top of the 2022 version of Eagle is the following text:

IMPORTANT: The 2022 version of the Scouts BSA Eagle Rank has been added to Scoutbook. This version requires the Citizenship in Society Merit Badge to be completed in order to complete Requirement 3 (Merit Badges) and the Eagle Rank.

If a Scout will complete all Eagle requirements except the Eagle Board of Review prior to July 1, 2022, the Eagle rank can be manually switched back to the 2016 version. To do this, click on 2016 above.

Once a completion date is entered for a rank, the version selector disappears because for most versions, he actual version does not matter once complete. Because Eagle 2022 added CIS as a required badge, if the wrong version is selected, it messes up the palms. This is why I am saying we need to get his Eagle switched to version 2016.

…Ok now your are making me feel really stupid…where do I click to revert to 2016?

Wait. Don’t answer that. This is something that we will wait for the developers to fix. I did not change Garrett to 2022, Scoutbook did, the developers can fix the issue.
They should not ever have added the 2022 Version until after 7/1/2022 when CIS BECOMES REQUIRED. This is a developer issue NOT a Council level Issue.

1 Like

@ChrisPratt

The 2022 version was added before 7/1/22 because any Scout that did not earn Life before 12/31/21 needs to be on the 2022 version. This is why the note is at the top of the 2022 version. It is trivial to switch the Scout to 2016 prior to Eagle being completed and approved by the Council. Since in this case, Eagle was completed and approved on the wrong version, the fix is more difficult.

Garrett earned Life on 7/12/2020, before the date state 12/31/2021. Which in my thinking the developers have a larger issue… if my scout was switched to the 2022 version after he completed his Life in 2020, then there have to be a ton of other scouts that will be seeing this issue. Of note, if Garrett’s Eagle was completed on the wrong version, it is because the version was switched without my knowing. He should have never been switched since he completed LIFE in 2020.
Please ask the developers if they are able to set a trigger date on the 2022 requirements that grandfather any scout that have completed Life before 12/31/2020 and completed Eagle prior to 7/1/2022, this would correct a bunch of issues. If you even suggest that it is an error on the part of the individual entering the dates and completions, please be kind, we are all volunteers wearing many hats and filling many positions…

We posted in the change log that all Scouts that had not completed Eagle were switched to 2022 version.

At the top of Eagle 2022 is the note I posted earlier and before Eagle was completed, 2022 was selected at the top.

Since your Scout had Eagle completed on 2022 without CIS being completed, this means it was completed by the registrar using their tools, not in Scoutbook as Scoutbook would not have let you mark Eagle complete without Req 3 (Merit Badges) being completed.

As I said before, there are far more Scouts that will finish Eagle after 7/1/22 than will finish before. A decision had to be made as to which version Scouts should be on after 12/31/22. We chose to move Scouts to 2022 because we did not want a Scout who did not finish before 7/1/22 thinking Eagle was done when it wasn’t which is what would happen if the version was not switched.

I am working to get your Scout’s issue fixed and will update this thread as soon as we hear back.

@ChrisPratt

The developers moved your Scout to Eagle 2016. Please verify the Palm’s are showing correctly and let me know.

Thanks!
One question…are the changes and updates that are made to Scoutbook only posted in the FORUMS? I and the other admins don’t remember ever seeing anything about changes coming on the Eagle 2016 / 2022.

FYI…i do not go to the forums on a regular basis, only when issues arise.

Thanks for the help!

@ChrisPratt - the scoutbook change log forum catagory is where you will find changes, updates and bug fixes

The following was posted on March 3, 2022 in the Change Log Forum

Scouts BSA Rank Updates

• Eagle Rank
    • The 2022 version of the Scouts BSA Eagle Rank has been added to Scoutbook. This version requires the Citizenship in Society Merit Badge to be completed in order to complete Requirement 3 (Merit Badges) and the Eagle Rank.
    • All Scouts who have not completed the Eagle Rank (overall completion does not have a date in Scoutbook) have had the rank switched to the 2022 version. All completed requirements, except Requirement 3 have been migrated from the 2016 version to the 2022 version. If a Scout will complete all Eagle requirements except the Eagle Board of Review prior to July 1, 2022, the Eagle rank can be manually switched back to the 2016 version. To do this, go to the Scout’s Advancement page, select Eagle then set the selector at the top of the page back to 2016.
1 Like

So, this change was made and posted in the forums…which most VOLUNTEERS don’t have time to read. Think a pop up window might have been helpful notifying those of us that don’t have TIME to read through all the forum messes and fixes?
I apologize that i give every ounce of my being to the scouts in my unit and not to reading through the “FORUM” messages.
There has to be a better way to give notice of changes.
Thank you again for fixing Scoutbook Developers screw up. My scout never should have been changed without notifying me.
To the developers…in the future do better in letting those of us that are not career scouters of upcoming changes…a forum that is seldom visited is not the time or place to post changes. There are those that do not have the time or space to read through the mess of bug fixes.

Everyone has the ability to subscribe to the change log forums which are updated just about every Wednesday night. This will send you an e-mail with the changes.

There is also the following note at the top of the Eagle 2022 page:
IMPORTANT: The 2022 version of the Scouts BSA Eagle Rank has been added to Scoutbook. This version requires the Citizenship in Society Merit Badge to be completed in order to complete Requirement 3 (Merit Badges) and the Eagle Rank.

If a Scout will complete all Eagle requirements except the Eagle Board of Review prior to July 1, 2022, the Eagle rank can be manually switched back to the 2016 version. To do this, click on 2016 above.

2 Likes

There has been a big note at the top of the Eagle Scout rank page that indicates what needs to be done for scouts who will finish prior to the transition in requirements.

I also subscribe to the changelogs here:

You click on the tag at the bottom to choose your notification preferences:

1 Like

@ChrisPratt - next timea change happens perhaps BSA will call you to ask your approval