Scouting Being Non-political

I thought Scouts was supposed to be non-political. I’m in the Hazardous Weather Training" course and in it has a tent that’s portraying a Ukrainian flag. Why not an American flag?

I have relatives in Europe and in Ukraine on BOTH sides of this conflict. Why is the United States there at all since Ukraine isn’t a Democracy and they’re not a vital interest to the USA? Why has NATO creeped all the way to Russia’s border when our diplomats said we wouldn’t.

Get rid of that slide please that shows the Ukrainian flag.

1 Like

Mods, I recommned removing this nonsense.

1 Like

Which do you say is nonsense? My issue or my statement?

1 Like

@MarkAndrzejak

I recommend contacting your council professional staff about your concern. They can open a ticket on your behalf to get the training updated.

2 Likes

It’s in the my.scouting.org online training catalog course called “Hazardous Weather Training”

1 Like

@MarkAndrzejak

The forums are not monitored by anyone who can fix the courses. Your only option is to contact your Council with your concern and for them to open a ticket.

4 Likes

We will look at it at next update. This image was in the original course published way back in 2016 by the vendor who created the original. No one has intentionally put in anything regarding a flag - and no one else has seen it in the view you have expressed.

2 Likes

I looked and can’t find a URK flag in the training. Would you give us a screen shot of what you are talking about?

1 Like

Thank you. The picture in question is the “Weather Planning” topic of the “Hazardous Weather Training” course. It’s shortly after the quiz. Any flag flown other than the US flag is potentially controversial, a Ukrainian or Russian flag especially at this time. To permit other flags to fly opens a Pandora’s box.

I did open a ticket with my council but this seems its a national thing since its an official BSA website

1 Like

Thanks talking with Tim now. This was done in 2016. Not sure why they used anything with a flag.
Dev will see what can be done.

3 Likes

It does seem reasonable on the face of things to start here, since this is generally the “first stop” for technical assistance for volunteers (assuming that an individual council doesn’t have a Scoutbook champion who can directly assist locally). The issue on this particular item is that (as @edavignon noted), the forums are not generally monitored by folks who have contacts directly with the LMS team, although some of them are “here” off-and-on. The general direction for these types of issues is to go through the councils (which have a channel to national for support issues), since national BSA no longer provides direct support to volunteers.

1 Like

I fixed this today and updated module is now on Volunteer Learn Center.

6 Likes

Thanks, Tim!

On a Saturday no less!

3 Likes

Thanks @TimothyRogers for the quick resolution on this!

1 Like

The tent picture looks awesome and thanks so much for rectifying this Timothy!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 1 minute after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.