Track tenure for BSA programs separately

Currently, all tenure in BSA programs (at least those included in Scoutbook membership listings) are summed to create a single tenure number, displayed in the “ScoutName’s Memberships” view.

Since we track tenure in different programs for service stars, can tracking by Scoutbook of the tenure in different BSA programs supported by Scoutbook be added?

For example, a given scout could have:

• tenure in Cub Scouts (yellow backing)
  • tenure in Scouts BSA (green backing)
  • tenure in Venturing (orange/red backing?)
  • tenure in Sea Scouts (orange/red backing?)
  • tenure in Exploring (???)
  • leader tenure (blue backing) theoretically applicable for youth who transition to adults

This is valuable for units/individual tracking tenure in each program for service stars, as well as for future application by individuals tracking tenure in BSA programs, such as for “veteran” bars.

1 Like

This is the purpose of the “Date Joined [program]” data field on each user’s Edit Profile page.

1 Like

I don’t know that I agree this is a solution, @JenniferOlinger, as this information does not readily display, unless it’s been added to the reportable data. It also does not include a date the scout joined Cub Scouting so no ready calculation can be made from that information.

In any case, it looks like getting a better display won’t move up the chain to development, so I’m not going to throw a lot more effort behind it.

1 Like

Service star backs

version 2021-08-19-C

STEM Scouts

My understanding is that the STEM Scouts units do not normally wear Boy Scout of America traditional Scouting uniforms. The uniform for older STEM Scouts and adult Scouter is a lab coat. There is also an official T-shirt. I have not heard if STEM Scouts wearing service stars. I would propose a white back to match the white lab coat “uniform” or perhaps a color from the STEM Scout badge if they do.

Senior youth and young adult programs

Exploring

My understanding is that Exploring units do not wear Boy Scout of America traditional Scouting uniforms.

Sea Scouts BSA

I do not remember Sea Scouts wearing Service Stars on the traditional sea Scouting uniforms or the newer Sea Scouts BSA uniform. On the khaki uniform the red back appears to be the correct colored back.

Service Star Red Back History

The red back for Rover Scouts (RS) and Senior Scouts (SS) in the United Kingdom goes back to about 1918.

The Service Star for Rover Scouts is backed with red cloth.

Traditional program service star backs are:

• Gold backs (No. 63) are for youth Cub Scouting service.
  • Green backs (No. 66) are for youth Scouts BSA service (previously Boy Scout service).
  • Brown backs (No. 67) are for youth Varsity Scout service.
  • Red backs (No. 65) are for youth Venturing service.
  • Blue backs (No. 64) are for adult Scouter service.

Adult Scouter service star back color?

I remember the blue for Scouter backs being a light blue. On my display today it appears to be a dark blue on the Scout Shop catalog page. Has the color changed?

Youth and adult Scouter service may be combined when using the adult Scouter back. See 2014 Scouting magazine article,

BSA References

PS

The STEM Scouts program and and STEM Nova Awards are not the same thing. Do not be confused by the combination of products in the online Scout Shop catalog.

There are two other possible pins/backers for adults who wish to wear pins for each program they participated in.

My thanks to this non-BSA website for historical data.

If a person was a Tiger Cub between 1997 and 2001, he may wear a one year pin with an orange backer. However, the orange backer is not available from BSA National.

If a person was an Explorer/Sea Explorer before Venturing was created in 1999, they may wear a year pin with a red backer. As an aside, if they then joined a Crew or Ship, they may wear a second red backed pin.

My thanks to this Wikipedia page for data about Air Scouts.

I do not know what color to use for Air Scouts (1941-1949) or Air Explorers (1949-1965). After their merger in 1965 into Exploring, red is correct.