YPT Tracking for ALL adults in unit

Our Chartered Organization has just asked us to have all parents in our units take YPT. That’s a pretty valid thing to do today with all BSA is going through.

It is logical that we track this in Scoutbook just as we can track swimmer classification and date; Annual Health A/B date, etc. However, it appears that Scoutbook doesn’t track YPT status anymore. That means that we will have to create a spreadsheet and manually track YPT status for all of our parents. :frowning:

I understand that Scoutbook used to track this, before they removed the training module from Scoutbook. I have the Feature Assistant installed and when I click on that report I am directed to my.scouting, but the page that comes up is blank.

Why can YPT not easily be added to Scoutbook? Even if it is just an autopopulated field from my.scouting with an expiration date? To force users to utilize a spreadsheet to track something that more and more Chartered Organizations are going to require is just plain stupid.

I found several posts from 2019 asking this same question, but it doesn’t appear as if anything has been done since then?

YPT Tracking for non-leader parents

Parent YPT Tracking or Reporting

1 Like

The “Show Adult YPT Status” report still works (Feature Assistant Extension).

1 Like

I tried that, but as I stated in my original post, that doesn’t work. It loads my.scouting.org, spins & spins and the page is blank. No report is run. Basically, it doesn’t work.

Why this was ever removed from Scoutbook is beyond me. My.scouting is a jumble of old & new code and each piece functions differently than the next. It is incredibly confusing to use.

It is working for me. Maybe try a different browser? Or turning off other extensions?

Tried it in both Firefox & Chrome. Assistant installed on both. Same problem. It does redirect to the my.scouting page, but it loads a completely blank page.

Again, why this functionality was removed from Scoutbook and put in the cobbled together mess that is my.scouting is beyond me.

Any other ideas?

Are you still a Cubmaster? I see a lot of Cubmaster connections for you.

This is what I would try:

Go to My Dashboard → Administration → My Account → My Connections

Then use the “Clean Old Connections” button.

After that, go to:

1. Troop Roster page
  2. Click on your name.
  3. Click on your position (Scoutmaster / ASM).
  4. Make sure the box is checked next to “Position Approved”
  5. Click Update.
  6. Repeat for your Troop Admin role.
  7. Then log out, and log back in to Scoutbook.

See if that helps.

Maintaining the logic for trained statuses in two different places is inefficient, and they were struggling to keep up with the changing requirements. BSA IT decided that all training would be kept in my.scouting.

1 Like

How to find the Show Adult YPT Status report provided by the Feature Assistant Extension. This report does not go to My.Scouting, it stays is Scoutbook. It takes a while to generate. If an adult account is missing their BSA ID#, their data will be missing.

My Dashboard > Administration > My Unit (pack, troop) > Unit (pack, troop) Reports > Show Adult YPT Status (last of the report list)

Note that if you have the extension running, you should see two different YPT reports. You do not want the YPT status report. That one takes you to my.scouting.

No longer a Cubmaster. Have moved along to Scouts BSA along with my kids.

Tried your suggestions. It did clear out a number of old connections. I would have thought this to be automatic now that I am no longer affiliated with that old unit. Interestingly enough, there were 186 old connections cleared out, but the Pack only had 73 members last year, so some of those connections were from many years ago. Shouldn’t that be something that is done in a weekly or monthly db purge?

The report did run when I tried it twice today, so that is an improvement!

However, the report only lists LEADERS in the unit. We are requiring YPT of ALL parents with Scouts in the Troop and thus need a report listing connected ADULTS. I KNOW there are connected Adults that have taken YPT, as they are leaders in the Pack for their younger children and are connected adults for their older children. These adults do NOT show up on the YPT report. I have tried both the “Org Structure” and “Unit” groupings.

Jacob, while I understand the concept of using what is there instead of re-coding the wheel (per se), the UI of my.scouting is so abominable compared to Scoutbook that us unit leaders would prefer to have Scoutbook just be the front end for these reports, even if the data were still housed in my.scouting.

Even more preferable would be to toss my.scouting in the trash can and move everything to Scoutbook! :slight_smile:

1 Like

How to find the Show Adult YPT Status report provided by the Feature Assistant Extension. This report does not go to My.Scouting, it stays is Scoutbook. It takes a while to generate. If an adult account is missing their BSA ID#, their data will be missing.

My Dashboard > Administration > My Unit (pack, troop) > Unit (pack, troop) Reports > Show Adult YPT Status (last of the report list)

Note that if you have the extension running, you should see two different YPT reports. You do not want the YPT status report. That one takes you to my.scouting.

I have the Feature Assistant Extension running in Firefox, but do not have that last report. That would explain my issue!

I tried this yesterday in Firefox and Chrome and could not get it to work. I have been working in Firefox today and I do not see that last report. I just tried it in Chrome and I now see the report! I just ran it and it is what we need to have!

Next question is how I can troubleshoot the SFA in Firefox that is showing it working, but obviously isn’t…

Try going to your Troop Roster page in Scoutbook, then go back up to your main Troop page.

Try going to your Troop Roster page in Scoutbook, then go back up to your main Troop page.

Already did that. No difference. I also went in and disabled the extension and re-enabled the extension. Still no difference. It is .46.0.2, updated this month, which matches the one installed in Google Chrome.

Do you have other features showing in the menus from the extension? I know Firefox seems to take a ridiculous amount of time to recognize the extension for me. Going back and forth to my dashboard many times eventually works. Chrome isn’t as bad in my experience.

I do. Just checked for the Quick Entry - Health Form and it is there on both Firefox & Chrome.

I don’t need to spend a ton of time troubleshooting this. I’ll just remember to use Chrome for Scoutbook. You guys are busy enough with everything you do!

I do have to wonder why the features from the FAE haven’t been fully integrated into Scoutbook by the developers now. Seems that would be the easiest course of action, no?

If it’s working from Chrome, that’s the easy answer. If not, Gary may want to dig into this a little more when he has time.

Many of the feature in the extension are in the development backlog, which is a substantial list. It’s just a matter of prioritization and having the developer time to do it.

I understand that there are constraints of resources. Deal with that every day. It is just strange to me that a volunteer was able to write an extension to add many of the most requested features while the Scoutbook developer(s) have yet to add any of those most requested features to the program itself!

I’m grateful that someone took the time to write & maintain the Feature Assistant, but it seems that BSA should just hire that individual to add those features into Scoutbook itself and be done with it!

I will use Chrome, although Firefox is my preferred browser so I continue to support browser choice.

Well, you have a couple of different issues to consider… First, Scoutbook isn’t the only system that BSA IT has to support, so they have to consider the SB requests along with all their other systems that they maintain.

Second, none of us (even the SUAC members) have any visibility into the BSA IT roadmap or how the devs prioritize their work. The nice thing that Gary has as a volunteer is the freedom and flexibility to work on whatever he deems important.

Third, it’s bold to assume that the BSA is in a hiring mode, and that Gary is willing to leave his real, paying job to work for them.

1 Like

Well, you have a couple of different issues to consider… First, Scoutbook isn’t the only system that BSA IT has to support, so they have to consider the SB requests along with all their other systems that they maintain.

Second, none of us (even the SUAC members) have any visibility into the BSA IT roadmap or how the devs prioritize their work. The nice thing that Gary has as a volunteer is the freedom and flexibility to work on whatever he deems important.

Third, it’s bold to assume that the BSA is in a hiring mode, and that Gary is willing to leave his real, paying job to work for them.

Steve,

You obviously have a much better idea of the prioritization of resources than I do, being much closer to Scoutbook. I am just speaking as a volunteer in the field. To those of us on the front lines, it feels that BSA is ignoring us and simply not putting in the resources required to fix the tool that we are essentially required to use.

I realize that BSA IT has to support other systems. However, my understanding is the original intent was to purchase Scoutbook to roll everything into that system. That would mean supporting one modern system instead of a host of legacy systems, which become more expensive to support each year.

When they bought Scoutbook, there was a dedicated revenue stream of $1/user. I’d gladly pay $1/user to have a robust app that did what we need it to do! A large portion of the dues increase last year was supposedly to pay for an IT systems overhaul. That was millions of dollars that weren’t spent where they were supposed to have been.

It is crazy to me that the SUAC doesn’t have visibility into the BSA IT roadmap and is probably the biggest indicator that BSA doesn’t give a hoot about their actual users. If they did, they would loop in the moderators/SUAC to help them prioritize features and truly engage the users. As it is, BSA relies on the SUAC to protect them from users and their requests.

I get that Gary has freedom and flexibility to work on whatever he deems important. My point was that he is a VOLUNTEER who has done this ON HIS OWN TIME! I’m assuming he has a “real” job, which means he is putting part-time hours into it. If that is the case, he makes BSA IT look like chumps because they cannot do even a portion of what he has done with full-time help! He has literally run circles around them!

I’m sure/I hope that Gary is getting paid well for what he does at his “day” job! I’m not advocating that he leave that for less pay. However, Google, Netflix and others have proven that there are those certain programmers that are worth 10X the salary of normal programmers. Gary may be one of those individuals. Assuming he is, BSA should hire him on the spot and get Scoutbook fully operational within 12 months!

I so appreciate what Gary has done with the FAE. However, I wasn’t even aware of the tool or the functionality until I’d spent years as a Cubmaster. It would have saved me untold hours of manual entry over that time period. I just informed others in our Troop about it and it will allow us to pull YPT reports that are otherwise not available, as well as put in A/B form dates all at once instead of individually. People just don’t know about the tool and what it could do. It would be so nice to have all these features integrated into the application itself and all it would take is BSA stepping up to the plate and committing to get it done. I know that having one system running everything would be a vast improvement over the various systems that Councils have to deal with now.

1 Like