YPT Training

@JamesFeldman - exactly… and thanks for the effort :slight_smile:

@Stephen_Hornak and @JamesFeldman and @edavignon - I have a guess on some of the issues and why some see it and some don’t. As the DPI of monitors has gone up, windows does an additional scaling in addition to the resolution and the “scale” within the web browser.

I wonder if the “controls” for the video / training isn’t scaling and is super tiny or the frame around the video is off screen.

Just wondering with an ah ha moment of something to think about. This would explain why some are having issues vs. others.

1 Like

@Matt.Johnson - that is a valid point and you may be on to something there.

1 Like

Yes… a very good point. I didn’t think of that. Taking a look, the scale on my laptop is at 150%. The other laptop is 125%. The scale of the monitor is 100%.

1 Like

@JamesFeldman - well, i think we may have found a root cause. I have my panels at 100… and I know that when I image a pc at work I have to check because win10 wants to be at 125 or 150… which to me is impractical

1 Like

@RonaldBlaisdell Might be a clue here as to why some users are having issues.

@JenniferOlinger - you go girl :slight_smile: … but yes win10 native scale

1 Like

I’m glad @Matt.Johnson mentioned scaling. Didn’t even think about that. My laptop screen is small, and Win10 automatically scales it up. Otherwise I’d have to squint to see anything.

Hopefully this will help others who might be having similar issues.

Thanks everyone!!

In 2 years when it’s time to re-up the YPT, have to remember it’s the scaling in Windows.

Would be interested to know if anyone using a Mac has similar issues.

1 Like

Just some notes.

• Firefox does not work well with the training. Use Chrome or Edge. Even on Apple devices.
  • 3,661 completions of the Sexual Abuse module in October.
  • Not sure how we can control the scaling factors of everyone’s computer.
  • Thread has been shared with TrainingU

Hi, @RonaldBlaisdell. It might be valuable to have a note in a frame on the training “background” page outside the bounds of the “training-specific” frame (i.e. where the videos play) that lets people know about the issue, and maybe even links them to a page with instruction for the resolution, so that they can self-diagnose and correct the problem if it occurs, rather than having to wade into the forums here.

Being able to self-diagnose the problem might address a lot of the frustration folks are feeling. Even if I had to come here and ask for help, being asked “Did you see the link that said ‘If you can’t see the continue buttons, click here.’?” might encourage me to spread the word about that resource so others know to look for it.

The scaling factor i don’t think you can control as that’s a Windows setting.

But maybe take the video out of the frame on the website?

1 Like

@JamesFeldman - as I understand it, the frame is what controls recording course completions.

1 Like

We have no way to control the scaling in any operating system. If video is taken out of the frame then the SCORM connection to the Learn Center is lost (as with any Learning Management System) to include bookmarking and completion status. We are adding this to the Help FAQ so those performing frontline help can give advisement to those with similar issues. Thanks for the discussion on this!

Why is it that of all of the corporate training I have done, YPT is the only one where I have heard there is a problem? Scaling is going to become more and more common as Windows starts making it the default. Something needs to change, even if it is just move the buttons up higher so that scaling does not obscure them.

4 Likes

You can’t. You need to control, and test, your response to it. So, the system needs to elegantly handle different scaling factors on each screen. This needs to be part of the normal battery of tests to confirm this will work on most/all systems.

I think we may have hit onto the reason why some YPT and weather sessions aren’t getting recorded. It is now up to the training development team to figure out what to do with this info.

As you point out, the solution is NOT on the user PCs. The solution is in how the controls are presented.

@TimothyRogers and @RonaldBlaisdell the solution is NOT to have users change their scaling. This is not the path to success.

3 Likes

That explains something.

In searching for a different way of viewing the video in the Sexual Assault V2 module, i used Firefox. And when it came to the video, I right clicked and chose to view the frame in a different tab, which allowed me to see the entire size of the video, including the buttons.

But after viewing the video, there was no “Next” or “Close” button, so I just closed the tab. The system did not recognize my viewing of the video, and thus completion of that module. So I had to view it again. (This time using the solution of using a different monitor connected to the laptop, before i realized about the scaling setting in Windows10.)

Thanks for everyone’s help with this!

1 Like

Agreeing with @edavignon and @Matt.Johnson the issue is the antiquated SCORM system used that isn’t adaptable to modern browsers and operating systems. There is a definite problem when the predominant browser on a certain mobile iOS (for which many end users chose to take training as smartphones are increasingly becoming people’s only “computer”) isn’t “supported.” That and probably the migration of these trainings from previous FLASH based versions to ones that work without this depreciated software. No exact knowledge, but my two cents from having worked with many other “quality” SCORM systems in the past.

1 Like

It’s not your machine. I complained about this several weeks ago. The trick is to click on the picture of each scenario to get to them. I discovered that by long trial/error.
There is definitely a problem with the frame around the presentation. I occurs in each of the browsers i tried.
PT

The problem is with my view of the frame. Because Win10 scales up, it makes the video appear larger in the frame, and I don’t see the cover pics of the videos. The continue buttons through the entire training are also chopped off.

There’s no way to scroll down, even though the video is larger than the frame size.

It’s a pain in the butt, but checking to be sure scaling is 100% might help solve the problem for some. As I mentioned, I viewed the video on another monitor connected to my laptop. There is no scaling on that monitor, and I was able to see the entire presentation top to bottom.