Automated removal of Scouts causes issues

Same issue. Ticket SSD-97001

Keeping this topic alive.

Regarding the argument to remove access to departing Scouts as it keeps the advancement database more pristine, cutting off access to departing scouts actually makes the advancement database less accurate as my current situation exemplifies. My departing Webelos completed the work during the time when they are registered with the unit and should receive credit for doing so. Understandably, leaders get busy during the end of year, but Scoutbook’s removing the ability to even approve advancement is too heavy-handed.

The council registrar hasn’t returned my multiple emails and Scoutbook support won’t assist, pointing to the council, so I have little to tell the scouts’ families other than bureaucracy is preventing their records from being accurate.

Jonathan

Contact the troop where the Scouts moved to. They can edit the Scout’s membership to add an end date to the troop membership and remove the end date from the pack membership. Once that is done, you can check the approve box in the Scout’s membership, record the advancement then restore the end date for the pack and remove the end date from the troop.

If the registrar has already moved the Scout(s) on the official roster, you will not be able to mark the advancement approved. You will need to send an e-mail to scoutbook.support@scouting.org with the Scout’s name and BSA Member ID and the advancement you need marked approved.

Hi @edavignon , those are all logical steps to take, and I’ve taken then, but I have yet to find a solution. The local office coordinator tells me she cannot approve advancement and suggests I contact Scoutbook. The council registrar for Michigan Crossroads won’t reply to my multiple emails.

Scoutbook won’t let me approve advancement for scouts not on my unit’s my.scouting.org roster. The troop the scouts move to is not using Scoutbook and even if they did add membership information, it wouldn’t help as the scouts would still not be in my unit’s my.scouting.org roster.

In addition, Scoutbook Support won’t approve the advancements despite being provided BSA ID and specifically what needs to happen. Instead they point me to the council registrar, so you see I’m stuck between a number of pointing fingers.

Try asking scoutbook support to move them back to your unit because someone got overzealous and submitted an application too soon.

1 Like