Den Calendar Events & Inconsistent Invitee Behavior

Issue
Our Tiger Assistant Den Leader (continuing assistant from Lion year) is no longer appearing as a leader in this year’s Tiger Den when creating calendar events. What is the expected behavior when Den’s progress from one rank to the next and why is it that Tiger and Webelos have different handling?

Issue Update
There is something still not functioning properly here with event creation and who is automatically added / available to be added. I initially assumed this had to do with the assistant leader position but I’m seeing inconsistent but similar behavior across our Pack. Here is the sequence of events…

1. Create a new Den meeting. Only Scouts are automatically added in the invitees section (previously the scouts and leaders were added automatically).

2. I click on “invitees” to add the 2 den leaders but only I am visible as a leader, the assistant leader is not. I am able to add him to the invitees but only via the “parent” selection. (note: on the main Den page, the second leader IS shown as an assistant leader for the den).

• 2022-08-14 08:34 CST - After giving the assistant leader den admin and myself den admin (not needed previously, I am pack admin) we both now appear in the invitee list by default when new den events are created.
  3. After the event is saved, I go back to edit the event and click “invitees” and both myself and the assistant leader are now listed in the “leaders” list.

4. I test steps 1-3 with our second Tiger den and there only the assistant leader is shown in the “leaders” list (from step 2 above) and the primary Den leader is not. The assistant here is automatically added along with the Scouts when the Den calendar is selected.

• 2022-08-13 CST - I updated Matt’s den leader position but that made no change. When I removed the end date on Brian’s den admin role, he now appears by default (along with Matt) when new events are created.
  5. I test steps 1-3 with our AOL Den. The Den leader is automatically added to the invitees when the Den is selected, as is her husband who is not a leader, and her assistant leader is also not displayed in the “leaders” list.

6. I test steps 1-3 by adding an event to our Pack calendar. Here all of the leaders are initially visible in the “leaders” list for invitees.

Supporting Info
From the roster view and on his profile, he is listed as an active leader for Tigers.

When I go to edit his profile, some of the assistant leader positions are greyed out.

In Scoutbook, I see that there are the following assistant leader “positions”. For some reason, Tiger and Webelos seem to be special.

1. general assistant leader (DA)
  2. tiger assistant leader (TL)
  3. webelos assistant leader (WA)

The BSA says there is no position of Tiger Assistant Den Leader because each Scout is supposed to have a parent present.

The BSA defined different position codes for Tiger Den Leader (TL), Webelos Den Leader (WL) and Webelos Assistant Den Leader (WA). We do not know why.

2 Likes

@edavignon
The assistant has the DA as an active position. If I’m understanding correctly, this is what he should have and should be appearing as an assistant leader when creating new calendar events, correct? If not, what needs to be done?

@Stephen_Hornak
Thanks for your extremely helpful and scout-like comment. It must be you that makes the forum a “treasure trove of information”.

@MatthewMcCormick

The BSA says there are no Assistant Tiger Den Leaders thus you can not assign one to a Tiger Den in Scoutbook, no matter how the adult is registered.

If you want this policy changed you will need to work through your local council professional staff.

1 Like

@edavignon
Ok, now I understand what you’re saying. So if the Tiger den has 2 leaders, they would both have to be given the Den Leader role in order to appear as leaders in Scoutbook. Are you able to point me to a BSA link that has any supporting information on the topic of assistant leaders?

Here is the closest official - Position manager -
Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 7.42.27 PM

2 Likes

Thank you @DonovanMcNeil

1 Like

There is something still not functioning properly here with event creation and who is automatically added / available to be added. I initially assumed this had to do with the assistant leader position but I’m seeing inconsistent but similar behavior across our Pack. Here is the sequence of events…

1. Create a new Den meeting. Only Scouts are automatically added in the invitees section (previously the scouts and leaders were added automatically).

2. I click on “invitees” to add the 2 den leaders but only I am visible as a leader, the assistant leader is not. I am able to add him to the invitees but only via the “parent” selection. (note: on the main Den page, the second leader IS shown as an assistant leader for the den).

3. After the event is saved, I go back to edit the event and click “invitees” and both myself and the assistant leader are now listed in the “leaders” list.

4. I test steps 1-3 with our second Tiger den and there only the assistant leader is shown in the “leaders” list (from step 2 above) and the primary Den leader is not. The assistant here is automatically added along with the Scouts when the Den calendar is selected.

5. I test steps 1-3 with our AOL Den. The Den leader is automatically added to the invitees when the Den is selected, as is her husband who is not a leader, and her assistant leader is also not displayed in the “leaders” list.

6. I test steps 1-3 by adding an event to our Pack calendar. Here all of the leaders are initially visible in the “leaders” list for invitees.

Any update on the prior comment?

I went through the exercise with our Pack. I did find one odd issue where a Scouter who is not a leader in the pack, but is a parent of a Den Chief and a cub in a particular den, is auto added as a parent invite, when den meeting is selected. This was the only oddness I see.

For the issue at hand, it seems like a lot is going on. Maybe break up the requests a bit smaller.

For example issues, let’s focus on the Tiger den first. From above, we now know that there can only be den leaders, no assistants. What are their roles (in red) in Scoutbook?

Let’s focus on one den. I think what you are showing is 2 dens.

For the top den - Brian is the tiger den leader. I’d make him also a den admin. For Matt, he is a den admin, but not a tiger den leader. So, he won’t be added to your calendar events.

For the bottom den, I’d make Nathan also a tiger den leader and a den admin. Recall from above, there aren’t assistant den leaders for tiger dens.

I will give Brian den admin role but what is happening currently is that Matt is being automatically added to calendar events but Brian (den leader) is not.

Go to Matt’s den leader position (in his profile) and hit update.

I updated Matt’s den leader position but that made no change. When I removed the end date on Brian’s den admin role, he now appears by default (along with Matt) when new events are created.

For Den 5 (myself and Nathan). After giving the assistant leader den admin and myself den admin (not needed previously, I am pack admin) we both now appear in the invitee list by default when new den events are created.

Do we actually have to go through and do this for each den? This also still does not explain why the non leader parent is showing for the AOL den.

We have always set it up that way. I assume you don’t have more than 20 dens?

After doing that, and checking, your other issue may indeed be a bug.