Different position application?

I have a role in my Den. I’m taking on a role in my Pack. I was told I have to submit a new application? I can’t figure out where though. HELP!

kind of depends on council

Nationally you have to get a new paper app and fill it out

Some councils will let you basically write a letter if it is in the same unit

Since this is not a NEW adult application and is just a change of position, this can be done (presently):

  1. At/coincidental to unit rechartering, or
  2. With a paper application [presently volunteers can’t amend or add to an existing registration on-line].

@DonovanMcNeil - I’m not aware of any council using ‘just a letter.’ To have the Registrar or National Shared Services enter the change in “the system” which may affect access to other on-line resources (i.e., if a Key 3) they need an application with approval from the chartered organization. This is especially important for unit Key 3 changes.

Wait, I applied on-line originally. I’m not much of a paper person. So I need to get the paper application and reapply?

Can the pack leader amend a registration online? (Please say yes)

I am pretty sure the online app would work @DipaHart - just make sure you are logged in under your my.scouting.org account so you do not end up with another BSA #

I should also ask, how do we suggest changes like this get prioritized? I’m trying to figure how to convince my tech savvy parents they have to fill out a paper copy of something they already did online.

The online Member Registration system is not currently set up for changes of position or membership transfers.

You need to find out what your council requires. Most require another paper application or the unit can wait and make the change at recharter time.

I do know of one council that has its own form for changes of position within the same unit. The form must be signed by the unit’s Chartered Org. Rep. or Executive Officer to show approval of the position changes.


@DipaHart - unit leaders can only “approve” on-line adult applications (where permitted by council business rules). They can not edit.

1 Like

NAG. I have not had a DE for over 6 months. Consequently my overworked FD has to cover. I’ve had one adult application (new) in process and trying to correct for 4 months. :frowning:


Keep in mind that except for the Charter Org Rep, an individual can only hold 1 position in a unit. By submitting a new application for a unit position, you will be ending one position and starting another.

1 Like

https://www.scouting.org/resources/online-registration/ has PDF’s on the bottom right that explain a lot about the online applications process. If you are currently registered as a Den Leader, and taking on another respondsibility that is not another position such as Cubmaster, you do not need a new application. IE: If you are the DL and the Committee asked you or you volunteered to help coordinate the Blue & Gold, that is not a real position on the Charter.

PS: These documents will go through who can approve new appliations. It is the same as Paper. Also, paper applications are currently the only way to change from a DL to CM. The online is not yet set-up for that.

1 Like

Can’t wait until adult leader changes are available online!

1 Like

To clear up some confusion, I believe you can add a new position in a different unit online, but you cannot change positions within the same unit online.

So I have 3 or 4 current pack positions per scoutbook…

Nope. New anything for my district must be paper. My parents love it (not).

Nope. You can’t add. Or resubmit an application. It’s such a mess…I did digging and several of us have multiple accounts now. Nothing says anyone is fully trained because it’s in a bunch of places. They weren’t checking for numbers before they created new accounts!! Ah!!!

Please contact your council and request that they combine your training under one BSA ID #. Then they can retire the other BSA ID #s.

I can’t wait either, but there have been no announcements that I have seen of any plans.