Changing Position Using Online Application

With all of the enhancements to the online application process in late 2020, has there been any thought about allowing a position change (w/i the same unit) via the online application process? (Note: not exactly a new topic, but given all of the recent improvements, it may be worth revisiting) . Obviously, the current process (at least it seems for most councils) is that a new PAPER Application is required to change position OR you can wait until Recharter to make the position changes (this assumes the person changing positions is already a properly registered adult leader with current YPT and an updated Criminal Background Check form). While it is probably most proper to get the application submitted at the time of the position change, the reality is that the Asst Scoutmaster that becomes the SM in May, probably won’t be officially changed until recharter time in Oct-Dec. If the online application could be used to simply “reapply” within the same unit in a different position, the COR or COR Delegate would still need to approve the application (so there is still that desired level of oversight), but the official position change could happen almost instantly. Seems like it would be a rather intuitive function for the online app process. As it is now, it is easier to change troops (via online application) than it is to change a position within a troop (still requiring a hard copy app, tracking down signatures, and additional council processing).

2 Likes

There is a position manager in the next month or so. See BSA Technology Update Q&A dtd March 8, 2021 - My Scouting Tools - Scouting Forums

Yes this should satisfy this need.

A little more on this:

The next “new section” to be introduced in My.Scouting is called Position Manager and it will replace Org Security Manager. It should be out later this spring or summer and will allow a COR or designee to change any and all adult registrations other than the COR. No new application (paper or online) will be needed. In addition, all the functional position will be managed in this too. It’s a drag and drop interface.

This does not replace new registrations and all the requirements for that, Adult applications will still be managed in application manager.

Before this is released more information will be sent out.

5 Likes

Great news on the soon-to-be-released Position Manager, and its much needed functionality. Thanks for the update.

1 Like

This will be amazing and a huge plus for committee chair and registrar who right now have to deal with such paperwork.

I was very pleased to see the Position Manager go live yesterday, but it looks like they are still working through it to get the bugs out and the functionality in. Just to give some feedback on some glitches I noticed so far:
As a COR Delegate, I was able to go into Position Manager, and I attempted to move one of our Young Adults from Unit Scouter Reserve (where he had been mistakenly listed) to Unit College Scouter Reserve (which was his correct position). When I attempted to move him, a red box popped up under New Member Coordinator with the message “A minimum of 2 person(s) must be assigned to this position.”, and it would not let me save the changes. I had not attempted to add anyone under New Member Coordinator, and I don’t believe that it is a required position (as long as you have at least 2 Committee Members).
I appreciate the IT Team’s hard work on rolling this stuff out, and I know these issues will be addressed, so I will just continue to give feedback on any glitches as I notice them. Hope it helps in the trouble shooting.

an error similar to this I saw reported earlier - hard to say if it is the positions or Your position. We will see

I’m having the same problem with all three of my units, Brent–two Troops and a Pack. I can’t swap positions in Position manager without assigning two people to New Member Coordinator. Unless something recently changed, this is not a required position. However, I think New Member Coordinator can substitute for Committee Member according to the rules. So, this seems like a programming error or a bug. I’m sure they can get this worked out quickly. Otherwise, I love the tool. This will save me, the unit leaders, and the office a lot of time and frustration! F.Y.I. I’m a registered COR.

It is a bug. New Member Coordinator and Pack Trainer (packs only) are specialized types of Committee Member.

David, that was my understanding, that the New Member Coord is not an outright required position, but it could be a substitute for the normal Committee Member slot, as a specialized. Comm Member. So in that regard, it could be considered an optional required position (i.e if you only had 2 Comm Members, both of which were listed under New Member Coord, you’d still be Ok for the required min for the Committee). That “optional required” thing may have contributed to the programming bug that many of us are experiencing with the PM.

The issue with NMC should be fixed now.

Ronald. Thanks for the heads up, but I just went in to try it, and I’m still getting the same error with the NMC. Perhaps I’ll let it update overnight, and then I’ll try again tomorrow.

Let me know, and I will update the developers.

Ronald. Checked again this morning, and still the exact same error (red box under New Member Coordinator with the message “A minimum of 2 person(s) must be assigned to this position.” , and it would not let me save any changes). Please pass this along to the developers. Thanks.

Before I do that, let me ask – have you cleared your browser’s cache, or are you using a private browsing mode (Incognito mode, InPrivate browsing, etc.)? If not, please try it again, either after you clear your cache, or after you switch to a private browsing mode. I just want to make sure you are using a clean set-up.

I just cleared the cash and tried again. Same error. Then cleared cache again and tried in incognito mode, same error. Just let me know if you need me to try any other steps. Thanks.

I still have it wanting 2 New Member Coordinators. It looks like the logic is based on a positions API response that is related to the unit type. In my case, it is a troop and it marks the New Member Coordinator position as required with a minimum of 2. It’s possible it might be working for a pack, but I don’t have COR or COR Delegate access to try that scenario.

I am a COR delegate for a pack and 2 troops. I have been trying to make changes with the PM under one of the troops and getting the error. I just now tried with the pack, same error.

Thanks, Brent, I have sent that along. In addition, I have asked a friend who is a COR to do some checking for me.