Duplicate IDs

A parent in my troop can’t access his scout, and we believe the problem to be duplicate IDs (under 2 different names). The account where he shows up in our troop as ASM is probably the “correct” one: SB User ID: 11748448, BSA Member ID:123043733. He also has a cub, to which he is still connected via this account.

The account where he is listed as parent of the scout in our troop uses his nickname but the same email and has Member ID: 135952227. His login takes him to the other account, so he’s not seeing the link to his older scout in Scoutbook.

Can you merge/resolve these? Also, any insight on how to instruct crossover AOL parents would be appreciated, since it’s almost that season again. Does this happen when scouts fill out a transfer application before the parent does? (Seems like there’s no place for Parent’s BSA ID on the youth application)? Or is it just a data entry error at the council level? We mostly have this problem with the active parents that are multiply-connected to BSA.

@CarolGee I think this is fixed - I recommend that They contact your local council and ask them to use the Registrar Tools to look up the children. When they look up the children, they want to check children’s “User Relationship” and make sure that children are connected to parent with Only the correct BSA member ID number 123043733

@CarolGee If your council and troop allows, I would highly encourage the use of the BSA’s online registration system. The pack can use my.Scouting to transfer the Scout(s) to your troop.

If they are set up correctly, parents can also use my.Scouting to transfer their child(ren). However, they will want to coordinate with the pack before initiating the transfer, because there are some administrative issues that the pack will want to take before the Scout leaves the pack.

It is important that the parent / child relationships are all under the parent’s primary BSA member ID number.

Most of the time, the duplicate accounts are caused by the following situation:
When the scout is first registered, the parent receives a bsa member number that they often don’t even know about but is the member number that has the parent relationship with the scout. Then, when they complete YPT and register as a leader for the first time, they get a new number. The system often warns them if their full name and date of birth match exactly, but nick names used in one or the other can prevent that match from occurring.

2 Likes

Thank you! (I appreciate the explanation as well.)

I feel like I have the same issue as the post above. I’m the parent that cannot access my scout’s account. His account in SB is User ID: 8110422, BSA Member ID:138111128. Under his parent/guardian, you’ll see his dad’s name is the same as his but is not currently linked to him and doesn’t need to be. I am linked, but I cannot access him on SB. Can you tell if my member ID is what is linked to him? 14134437 The leader in our troop that handles SB felt like I might need to request an email to be properly linked. I really have no clue.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Tama Hill

@Tamara_Tama_Hill first issue is the account you are using now is the Scouts Login - let me look further

@Tamara_Tama_Hill I will send you a direct message > look at top right Avatar to find it > it will be a green envelope > it will be a private message channel with select members of the Scoutbook User Advisory Council (SUAC)

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.