Duplicate ranks

Some scouts have duplicate ranks with the same dates and somehow connected in Scoutbook because when I change one to try to remove it it effects the other too. Also when I try to remove one it says I have to remove the later ranks first since they depend on the earlier ranks being earned. How can I remove just one of the duplicate ranks? Or should I just leave it all alone? I’m trying to straighten things up so we can start using Scoutbook.

1 Like

What do you see when you go to a Scout’s Membership page? Do you see one current membership with your unit? Or more than one?

1 Like

One has only one current one. One has a previous membership but still only one current one.

1 Like

go to My Account > My Connections > does the scout show up twice? If so look at both connections and end one

1 Like

You can also do an export/backup of scout advancement and see if the items show up twice in there with different version numbers (all else the same).

1 Like

No scouts appear more than once in my connections. Besides why would only some of the ranks a scout has show up twice?

1 Like

Try going to your main troop page and Export / Backup the Scout Advancement file. Open the file up in a spreadsheet program like Excel, and turn filters on so that it only shows ranks. This might make it easier to identify what’s different about the ranks that are duplicated.

1 Like

Yes, this is what’s happening, a rank is recorded for two different year versions. How did this happen and what can I do to clean it up, or can I just leave it as is?

1 Like

Which rank and version number is marked complete by a real person, and which rank and version number is marked complete by BSA Administrator?

1 Like

For the few I spot checked all are BSA Administrator (except for the one I tried to delete which now has my name). It seems like the earlier version has an AwardedDate (of 5/17/2019) but no AwardedBy. In some cases I don’t know which is the correct one if it was earned shortly after 2016.

1 Like

Hellen,

This since you have seen 2 versions in the export/backup file this can only be fixed by Member Care. Send an e-mail to scoutbook.support@scouting.org with the Scout’s name, BSA#, council and unit. Indicate which ranks have 2 versions marked complete and which is the correct version. Ask them to remove the completion of the other. Post the SSD number you receive in the subject of an automated reply here.

2 Likes

What/where is the SSD number? I don’t see any numbers anywhere.

Helen,

You should have received several automated e-mails in reply to your e-mail to scoutbook.support@scouting.org. The SSD number will be in the subject of one of those e-mails.

Okay got it, SSD-98062.

Helen,

I have saw member care said there is nothing they can do to fix your problem. I have asked the developers to remove the duplicate ranks and investigate how this happened.

I have the same issue with my son. All ranks are duplicated from Scout to Life. The only rank that is not duplicated is Eagle?

Beth,

Please send an e-mail to scoutbook.support@scouting.org with name, BSA#, council and unit and a description of what you are seeing. Post the SSD number you received in the subject of one of the automated replies here.

Here is what you requested SSD-98229. Thank you!

Thanks. Please let me know when it has been completed.

If it helps to know, I believe our troop was using Troopmaster Desktop with Internet Advancement until mid 2017, and then Troopmaster Web 2.0 with IA and IA2 since then. Only a few scouts have this problem and with only some of their ranks. It looks like all the troop’s ranks have been recorded as version 2016 regardless (done by TM or IA?) but the ones that have duplicates also have the earlier version with an AwardedDate of 5/17/2019, I wish I could remember if I did anything via Scoutbook or IA that day.

Thank you Beth & Helen

I have passed your information on to the development team and asked that they make a global fix instead fo scout by scout, however, having examples from 2 units will help with their investigation.

1 Like