BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Feature Request: Driver/Car Details

I suggest two fields added to the adult profile page where their license & car’s passenger capacity is tracked, then a unit report for that data, so the transportation coordinator can easily pull up who is approved to drive and how many passengers they can carry.

1 Like

I added this to the feature request list. I would not expect it to be given high priority.

Why do you need license info? That’s more PII exposed in the event of a data breach. A simple “I’m willing to drive youth to events” check box ought to be enough; that’s what my sons’ school district uses.

1 Like

Not the license number so much as “I am licensed in the state of XX” and “I have had no moving violation convictions in the past 5 years.”

A check box that says “I have had no moving violations in the past 5 years” is only good the instant it is set. I doubt many people would think “I just got a moving violation, I better update Scoutbook”. If you are concerned about moving violations, you need to ask the driver prior to each event.

1 Like

Is there a rule that prohibits someone who has a speeding ticket in the last 5 years from driving?

1 Like

The Guide to Save Scouting does not prohibit driving with speeding tickets or other moving violations.

2 Likes

If there were, that would eliminate a ton of drivers.

2 Likes

I could also see utility for a checkbox accessible to leaders that allows storing an expiration date for liability insurance, so that units know who they need to ping regarding verifying insurance is current. This would be similar to the swim test and medical form dates.

Troopmaster handles this by allowing “vehicle” records attached to each adult record. Each vehicle has the following fields:
Year:
Make:
Model:
Belts:
License Plate:
Trailer Hitch:
Insurance Per Person (in thousands):
Insurance Per Accident (in thousands):
Insurance Per Property (in thousands):

Adding a field about moving violations, or more importantly DUI history, is a good idea. Whether or not the adult keeps it up to date is not as important as the Key 3 at least asking the question. Not doing so would be a failure of due diligence. I’ve had DE’s pretty strict on this issue.

As I said, I think it’s overkill. Our school district doesn’t require that level of detail for volunteer drivers; and their position has been vetted by their legal office. I can’t imagine making the requirements for the troop more stringent.

BSA Policy: https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss11/

There is a reason Troopmaster has those fields.

@ClatorButler - those rules point to for hire and commercial operators and you are not likely to have any information on the staff.
Another example of troopmaster influencing program.

@ClatorButler Where, in the guide to safe Scouting, does it say this information needs to be collected and maintained by the unit?

1 Like

Guide to Safe Scouting says this: https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss11/

I cannot understand why there is resistance to porting an existing set of fields from Troopmaster to Scoutbook, so units tracking this information can do so in the official tool, enabling units to do a better job of coordinating transportation and tracking suitability of drivers. Scoutbook and Troopmaster are both full of much more sensitive PII so an argument against storage of PII falls flat; due care must be shown to safeguard all the info with encryption at rest, encryption in transit, and proper handling of encryption keys. A suggestion has been made that doesn’t violate the scout oath and law in any way and is suggested in the interest of safe scouting and efficient unit operations.

Please quote the section of the GTSS you are referring to. I have read that section several times and still do not see where units must find out if drivers have moving violations or verify insurance coverage.

If this is a concern, you should be requesting the information every time your unit gets ready to depart, not relying on a database that could easily be outdated.

1 Like

I guess it doesn’t specify that the units must verify that they have insurance, but it does specify that the vehicle must be insured:

1. All vehicles must be covered by automobile liability insurance with limits that meet or exceed requirements of the state in which the vehicle is licensed. It is recommended, however, that coverage limits are at least $100,000 combined single limit. Any vehicle designed to carry 10 or more passengers should have limits of $1,000,000.

Charley,

In most states, if the vehicle is registered, it must have insurance. Unless you are in a state that does not have this requirement, having a current registration should be sufficient proof of insurance. In MN that is a sticker on the license plate, in NY it is a sticker on the windshield. In my opinion it is easier to look in these locations than try to maintain a database.

1 Like

The adult application also asks:

d. Has your driver’s license ever been suspended or revoked? Explain:

This answer also can be out of date in one day, but BSA asks the question, and expects unit leaders to manage volunteers appropriately. I keep seeing pushback against a feature enhancement that does not include required fields but merely provides tools to help units coordinate transportation with reliable drivers.

As both a unit leader and as a 25-year career Web professional with a PMP and CISSP, I assert that this request will help us manage our unit that much better, and will help us deprecate Troopmaster in favor of a single tool.

I did add your request to the backlog. I do not expect to see it implemented in the foreseeable future.