Hiking/Camping/Service/Long Cruise Logs Changing

There’s no way to do a bulk change to an existing “individual” event, AFAIK, even if it was created using the Quick Entry feature in the old system.

If it’s a unit event that was created in the new system, I think that you just edit that unit event. The how-to for the new system is in one of the links provided in the yellow notice displayed at the top of the Scoutbook pages.

1 Like

I logged on to record Service Hours in Scoutbook (I am in it every day) today and had a holy jesus moment when I realized they were missing. Low and behold at some point they were moved into this Internet Advancement site I have never used before and didn’t even know existed.

It is NOT user friendly in anyway shape or form. I must say I am extremely disappointed in whomever decided that this was a good idea. They took something that was extremely easy in Scoutbook and just chopped it right out. NOT IMPRESSED with this clunky dumpster fire of a design, and I can say, no wonder you guys have so many problems with units not using online tracking systems. It is as bad as my.scouting and their attempt at doing online applications.

Sincerely, an extremely upset Cubmaster.

3 Likes

Ok, so i have waited for the upgrades to get activated… as the message said access would come on May 15th. i am in tonight thru Scoutbook, then liked to IA to load service hours and camping nights… i have my 3 units visible on IA, but not access to edit current logs or the ability to add new ones. Not to mention the merit badge tally is not accurate for most of my scouts… what next???.??

@TimothySeymour1 -what is your role in each of the units. The access was indeed supposed to be increased tonight but it appears that there may be an issue to be worked on by the dev team. My access works and I am designated as unit advancement chair and key 3 delegate. Now the merit badge tally has little to do with the logs. How are they off ? I spot checked my scouts and the approved/awarded are correct and the started are correct.

The destination of unit advancement chair and key 3 must be done in my.scouting.org and by one of the unit key3

I am a committee chair for one unit and assistant scoutmaster and committee member for another. I am a unit admin with full controls in scoutbook for both units and do much of the entries in scoutbook for both. I need to be able to start, log and edit for every scout.
Thanks Tim

1 Like

@TimothySeymour1 - let’s check a few things. For the unit in which you are committee chair, can you connect to that one via the unit dropdown in the upper right and see if you have full access there. For the other in which you are a committee member, what is the functional role there in my.scouting.org? My status is CC of the troop and crew, no issues. For the pack I a committee member, unit advancement chair and key 3 delegate and again no issues there.

I am Committee Chair… I am not trying to add a “troop activity”… I’m talking individual hiking, camping, etc. the items that were amazing on the main Scoutbook profile that they took away and now make us go through hell to get to! I’m using an iPhone

1 Like

@KaylaHammons - I have discovered that IA on mobile for some reason does not load the controls that allow for additions to advancement or the logs. Can you try on a pc based OS as I know it works there. I will note this to the SUAC

Unfortunately no… we are mobile based only and had no issues whatsoever before this IA change. We are in a world of smartphones and not everyone has access to a pc anymore… our entire unit is mobile only… thank you for making that note and hopefully we can resolve this issues ASAP. Appreciate the help!

1 Like

@KaylaHammons - yup all of us would like it to be fix for sure. This is frustrating but once settled the results should be a more positive experience for everyone.

Nobody ever wants stuff to break but sometimes it does in the most unexpected ways. If everything was perfect how boring would that be.

1 Like

I agree completely! However, it would have been nice if they wouldn’t have taken it from Scoutbook before the HUGE bugs were fixed… also maybe they will listen to all of our voices and at least link a viewing (not editing) of Scouts camping nights/hikes/service log still on Scoutbooks main profile pages. It seems this is the biggest issue with the majority… hey changes happen in numbers right?! Thanks for all you do for Scouting!

1 Like

I’d rather be bored by software that works reliably and consistently than be perpetually entertained by unnecessary “upgrades” that produce needless complications. This is nonsensical.

3 Likes

My question on using the Scoutbook calendar. What is the point really? I love all the features of the calendar, but I am going to also have to enter in the activities into IA2 so that the scouts can mark themselves present. Is there a plan to combine them, or as it looks, we are trying to tank Scoutbook for good?

2 Likes

We manage our whole calendar for the year with the main Scoutbook calendar. It also can feed systems like Outlook, Google Calendar, etc. It sends reminders, tracks RSVPs, and does permission slips., etc. We have in holidays, school days off, and council activities.

3 Likes

I realized a flaw in my logic while compiling my feature comparison of the scouting app vs scoutbook for parents. Scoutbook will be changing due to the change in coding. Will the scouting app be changed as well? If I wanted to train parents on only one application, which app has the longer projected life?

1 Like

I have tried to get in for the unit i am CC and nothing allowed… i have full access in scoutbook, but can only view items in IA… come on. And nothing on the unit i am ASM and committee member.

Matt:

I concur completely with your statement “that in most units the COR is not active” but in a few units the COR is very active. The problem is that we keep trying to fit a square peg (most COR) into a round hole (the way most units and Chartered Organizations) interact. In larger units(and maybe some mid-sized units), I would guess that Unit Committees have a Vice Chair, a person who functions as the registrar and an IT person. However, none of these are positions that are recognized by the BSA. Because they are not recognized positions, they end up having to find ways to work around the BSA structure so things get done. Scoutbook worked well because it allowed the unit to designate a registered adult as an “Administrator” who could handle all the IT functions for the den, patrol, pack or troop.

I’ve seen some posts from SUAC members that indicate that the IT team is going to fix IA2 so that designated administrators can function like they used to be able to in Scoutbook. That will be great, but its sad that every time they make a major change, they go back to trying to make that square peg fit into that round hole. Every time it happens, the blow back from the field is hot and sustained and they end up having to build another round peg. I keep hoping that one of these days they are going to understand that its less painful to do it right the first time.

2 Likes

This has to do with inputting service hours for our Troop. I have been doing it for years first from the council website and then through my.scouting.org However, now I am being told that I have to do it through scoutbook.scouting.org but I can find no place to be able to log in or anything. So, how do I now report service hours. I am not a Key 3 nor have I ever been. I am the training coordinator which is thankfully still on my.scouting.org for updating.

@C_SuzannePlenkers Please ask your troop’s Key 3 or a Key 3 Delegate to add you as a Key 3 Delegate using the Organization Security Manager at my.scouting.org (my.Scouting Tools).

I recommend adding service hours from the roster page at Internet Advancement . Turn filtering on so that the roster also shows adults. Select the people who participated in the service project, then click on the “Record Progress” button and select “Service Hours”. There are more detailed instructions at the following link:

When will we have a permanent workaround for this? People WERE properly designated prior to this and it very much feels like that wasn’t accounted for in this change. An announcement could have been made prior to this implementation (“If you aren’t in one of these positions, you will lose access to update…”). Changing it and then expecting everyone to jump through hoops is a suboptimal implementation scheme.