Hiking/Camping/Service/Long Cruise Logs Changing

@JonathanThompson1 I understand your frustration, but this isn’t about competitors. It is about retiring the old Internet Advancement and related systems, which are circa 1999. Those systems are obsolete, and when they break down, they are expensive to try to fix.

1 Like

I understand getting rid of the old IA. We were told for years that IA was going away and Scoutbook was the new normal. Now, instead of revamping Scoutbook, which is very user friendly and the parents are starting to get comfortable with, we are now gutting it and trying to revamp the very clunky, not user friendly IA with too many restrictions and losing many of the things the volunteers spent hours entering in. Just spent time looking over my troop’s camping logs for the past 3 years, and it looks like half the records are missing and I don’t have it in me anymore to go reenter all the information. Some of us are so tired of the changes that “someone” asked for. I for one have never asked to go back to IA and have never been asked what changes I think should be worked on. Even back when I paid out of pocket for Scoutbook. It is just getting to the point that I have to say "Is it worth the hassle of these systems or just create a simple spreadsheet or buy the troop tracking book from the scout shop.

5 Likes

I agree. Why did BSA Purchase Scoutbook to kill it. It used to have really nice training view. and now this item. much less having the logins reset after every recharter for half my leaders. really loved this application before it was purchased by BSA.

3 Likes

Why can’t I see the activity logs for my own children? I’m a registered leader but get an error saying only the Key 3 and the advancement chair can access them? Doesn’t seem to be a good change at this point.

2 Likes

This is a bug. The developers are working on it. See today’s Activity Log Announcement.

@KaylaHammons - I just added another test activity with my Android tablet so I know that works. What is your role in the unit(s)? I will state that I am pack committee member (adv. Chr. And k3 delegate) CC for the troop and crew. Have not had any issues other than the leading zero thing for my zip codes but I just remove the address and zip data.

Well, not kill it outright but pick apart an integrated system to one that has pieces spread all over.

1 Like

@Matt.Johnson - I did note on your other post that the kings and calendar were not natively linked. The extension provided a bridge over that gap. Mind you that if Gary did not provide it there would be zero integration.

How can we get access to this system? I login and don’t have the correct profile credentials as a CS den leader. I can’t see anything.

1 Like

Yes, but one of the concepts of the extension was to add features in before they could be added in the core system.

1 Like

Correct. That was the stop gap. The larger issue however is the original code of scoutbook. Adaptive reworking has apparently hit a wall with classic ASP. That code like my old cobol skills is no longer viable for what the users want. I really do not know how to effectively have that make sense to the average user. Plain and simple the core of scoutbook is not built to make the improvements work as users want. Nor can it adapt to new features that the users want.

A better relationship would be to ask who is running Windows 1.0 on their pc or Classic Mac OS.

2 Likes

It’s nonsense like this that make us have to keep a second set of records. You never know when someone at Scoutbook or National decides to throw a monkey wrench into the system and screw everything up. It’s hard enough trying to keep a troop together. Having to fight the BSA itself to do so makes me look forward to turning it all over to someone else.

5 Likes

Same here. I am Advancement Chair and I no longer have any access to record or view activity logs. This is a terrible roll-out.

6 Likes

Well said @CharleyHamilton!! Couldn’t agree more!

1 Like

Ditto @AngelaKoch! Total waste of my time & energy that went into getting all of my scouts, their parents & my leaders on board the Scoutbook train.

1 Like

I have three questions, who are the developers for this? Is it a real software company? Does that company have a QA team more then just the VOLUNTEERS associated with the SUAC?

It is one thing if releases come out with minor bugs, that is to be expected. In my company if such a major bug happened in a release, at least a couple people in QA would have probably been fired and several of the software engineering managers would have received a major tongue lashing.

There were errors on a lot of ends with the biggest being, not advertising this enough. As soon as I saw the announcement that they were moving the logs I hit the “backup” button on all the Troop records. I am real glad I did since as just a lowly ASM I am not a Key 3, but I am one of only two people in the Troop that take on most of the data entry in the Troop.

5 Likes

All, your feedback - both negative and positive - is extremely important to us (the Scoutbook Team). Your feedback helps us help you to serve Scouting better. Your time, energy, and commitment to Scouting does not go unnoticed!

We are sincerely trying to resolve issues and pain points discovered with the release of the Activity Logs as quickly as possible. Your patience during this time is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Thanks @Stephen_Hornak - a family entered campouts and they appear to be pending my approval.

However, there appears to be a bug that Internet Advancement is not counting the Nights Camped correctly based on the dates (in the IA2 interface). For example, a campout starting on 4/21 and ending on 4/25 would include 4 nights camping, the 21st, 22nd, 23rd and 24th. However IA2 is counting (within its interface) that this was a 4 day 3 night campout. It was actually a 5 day 4 night campout (count it out on your fingers).

I found I could overcome the counting issue only if I marked the campout as an ALL DAY EVENT for activities that I created, however it does not work for the activities pending approval entered by Scouts and their families.

Noted here @MarkHenrichsen . I will add this to items we are resolving. Is there more information you can provide us to help identify the issue? Unit information? Which campout specifically?

1 Like

@MarkHenrichsen - I would gather there is no edit of scout entered activities. I did note that for a hike that my son entered. Could be time for the scout to adjust the entry to correct the count. Certainly that is good feedback though.