How do I clear the "Changeyouremail@scoutbook.com error?

15 of our counselors have the “changeyouremail@scoutbook.com” or “changemyemail@scoutbook.com” as their Email address. I am told this means that their Email address is not unique.

Yet when I upload a different Email address for them in the Council Merit Badge Counselor upload, they still show “changeyouremail@scoutbook.com” as their Email address.

However, if I change the email address for a counselor that doesn’t have this issue, their Email address is replaced by the new one.

Greg Buchanan

The user needs to log in to https://www.scoutbook.com/mobile go to My Dashboard → Administration → My Account → e-mail and change it. They should be able to log in using their my.scouting.org ID and password.

If the user can not log in, they can send an e-mail to scoutbook.support@scouting.org with their name and BSA Member ID and ask that the e-mail address be updated.

This is not something that can be done by someone else.

1 Like

Thanks Ed,

So if I understand this correctly, the only field in the ScoutBook MBC record that the Counsel MBC Upload can change is the list of badges. All other fields are only used to identify the counselor if the BSA Member ID is not matched. (Well except for the Districts field,which is only set on the initial upload/creation of the counselor record.) Is this correct?

If so, how and where do we tell ScoutBook users to enter changes to their phone number, home addresses, and Emails? We do this on their registration record in ScoutNet currently. Do changes to these fields automatically push thru from ScoutNet to ScoutBook? I see that ScoutBook allows me to change my address and phone number on the Edit Profile screen. Do changes made in ScoutBook get pushed back to ScoutNet/Aleaka? Or do we have to tell our users they need to edit those fields themselvers, as well as tell the Registrar so that their ScoutNet registraion can be updated? How do we keep consistant records if they can be edited in multiple places?

Just trying to figure out how this works so I don’t give bad advice to our users.

Greg

Greg,

Fields such as address, phone number, etc. are only added to Scoutbook on initial registration. If a leader needs to update these fields, they must do so in both my.scouting.org and Scoutbook. There is currently no process to keep these fields in sync.

Thanks Ed,

I will start working with our counselors to get things in Sync.

Greg

Ed,

I am curious if ScoutBook really needs to required Email addresses to be Unique, and if so, why? I notice that if ScoutBook thinks an email is a duplicate, it changes it to “changeyouremail@scoutbook.org”. But the result of that change is that all those counselors (16 in my council) are now sharing the same email address. As far as I can tell, their ScoutBook identities are still found in Merit Badge Counselor searches. Is there some other place this non-unique email impacts their records? If the shared replacement “changeyouremail@scoutbook.com” email address works, why wouldn’t other duplicate addresses?

Greg

I think that goes back to when the scoutbook login was your email address. A nice fix would be to allow a council to upload an email list (whether MBC or all adult leaders) and turn off the no overwrite logic for anyone who has changeyouremail

Ron

Greg,

It has to do with how Scoutbook was originally architected. The changeyouremail address is a special case that was done when Member Update started bringing in users from Akela. Since Akela did not enforce unique e-mail addresses, but Scoutbook required them, a special case was created. To fully allow duplicate e-mail addresses would require major changes to Scoutbook. This is not an investment the BSA is willing to make at this time.

Thanks Ed,

I have asked my counselors with the “Changeyouremail@scoutbook.org” to change their email. One of them, Frank Maxwell, BSA ID 13492451, reports that his Email is recorded correctly. But when I download the Council MBC list or search for him as a Counselor, it still shows ChangemyEmail@scoutbook.org.

Does the Changmyemail@scoutbook.com show up on the Counselors My Account → Email entry, or does that stay at the original Email?
Is there some way to find out what other ScoutBook accounts are using the same Email? Otherwise we are just shooting in the dark.

Greg

Further questions:

Do the all of the accounts with the same Email address also get their Email address set to , “changemyemail@scoutbook.org”, or is it only the second and following accounts that get the change?
If the user wants, can they change the Email on the first account, and keep the old Email on the duplicate account?

Greg

Greg,

If you search for the MBC using the MB Search function, does the correct e-mail appear?

Only the second or subsequent account that comes in from from Akela via Member Update with an e-mail address already in Scoutbook will have the changeyouremail address.

Yes, the account with the real address can have the e-mail switched then that e-mail used on the other account. This typically happens if a family members share an e-mail address or an individual ended up with multiple BSA Member IDs and used different first names.

Ed,
When I search for the counselor by badge and zip code, their MBC position displays the Changeyouremail address.

I have one counselor that reports his email looks fine when he looks at it, but it is showing Changeyouremail when I search for him as a counselor. I know that that particular person has had problems in the past with multiple ScoutNet records (2 member IDs). But at present, he is only actively registered under one BSA Member ID, which is the one I am using for his MBC record. I don’t have any way to determine if there is more than one ScoutBook record for him.

A different counselor reported that he has successfully changied his Email using the My Account —> Email setting. And when I pull up his record, it now shows his correct email.

We started uploading the Council MBC list back in April/May, and there were many counselors already in the ScoutBook system when we started that. Unfortunately I am not able to tell if any of these counselors with email problems were previously registered on ScoutBook, or if their ScoutBook entry was created when we uploaded the Council Master List.

It really would be helpful if ScoutBook could identify the other account with the duplicate Email address. I feel like I am flying in the dark.

Since I cannot see this behavior directly, when ScoutBook changes the Email to Changeyouremail, does the user see their original Email or the “changeyouremail” when they look at their account settings?

Greg

As a followup, I have checked all 13 of the counselors, and they all show Changeyouremail or chagemyemail when I look them up on ScoutBook using the Find Merit Badge Counselor screen. I can supply the list of counselors if that would help.

Greg

Greg

I have found the changemyemail and changeyouremail issue in new accounts created by MU and in old accounts. Every time I find it, I also find there is a duplicate account for the member - rarely do I see another family member with the same email. I have literally hundreds of duplicates in my council.

To find the duplicate for counselors, search once by name, and search again by email address. You may see the other account that way, though it does little good, as there isn’t anything you can do except contact the counselor and have them work with Member Care to resolve the situation. You can at least find the two Scoutbook IDs for the counselors but it involves inspecting the results using the browser Inspect Page feature.

Thanks for the ideas, Gary, but I am not sure I understand what search function you are suggesting I use. I have looked but don’t find a search function in ScoutBook. Am I just missing something? Or is it something that is not available thru the browser app? The closest thing I have seen for a search is the Training Validation screen on My.Scouting. Is that what you are referring to? Or are you referring to searching in ScoutNet? I don’t remember a search field for Email in ScoutNet.

So if you could point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.
Greg

Greg,

Go to your roster and click Add Leader. You can search for adults there.

Unfortunately, I don’t have access to a roster. I only active ScoutBook position is as a Merit Badge Counselor, and as a Council Admin to upload the MBC list. I manage the Merit Badge Counselor list for our council, but am not associated with any specific unit. Is there some other administrative role in ScoutBook that I should have to help resolve problems for units in our council?

Greg

Greg,

Scoutbook is a unit tool, not a council tool. The council tools portal is the my Scouting Tools web site https://my.scouting.org/.

You may need to be a member of the council membership committee to get access to district merit badge counselor information. Your council may require that access to be done at the council service center office.

I do not know if you can get access to district-level merit badge council information using the Training Manager tool which was recently revised in 2020, or not. In 2017 most members of the council committee (elected and appointed) did not have access to the Training Manager tool.

• Training Manager Functions and Tool Access (2017) - see matrix referenced below.

Check your council registration, then check your Scoutbook registration

• For the moment, forget that you are a Merit Badge Counselor, which is a District Scouter position vetted by the district merit badge counselor coordinator and approved by the council advancement committee.
  • How are you registered at the council level? (On the my Scouting Tools site check your Menu > My Dashboard (My Training) > Required
    • elected council member at large (48)?
    • appointed council committee member (47)?
    • other council registered position?
    • if none (and a volunteer), file an adult application via your Council Committee Chair and Scout Executive (who must approve your position.
  • NOTE: “Council Admin” definitions for Akela (ScoutNET) and Scoutbook are different. In the BSA member database it is a professional staff position,
  • Do you have more than one BSA ID number (e,g. council and national)? If yes, check and fix your profile on the my Scouting Tools web site. I recommend selecting your current council BSA member ID number as primary.
  • Check with your council committee chair. Do you have any functional roles set in the Organization Security Manager tool on the my Scouting Tools website? On that site, I think your registered and functional roles also show under “Menu > My Dashboard (My Training) > Required”

Some Council Functional Codes

• Code-Description
  • 21 Cncl Mbrship Comm Chair
  • 21M Cncl Mbrship Comm Mbr
  • 22 Cncl Training Comm Chair
  • 22M Cncl Training Comm Mbr
  • 23 Cncl Advancement Comm Chair
  • 23M Cncl Advancement Comm Mbr
  • 26M Cncl Health and Safety Comm Mbr
  • 32 Cncl Boy Scouting Comm Chair (NOW SCOUTS BSA)
  • 32M Cncl Boy Scouting Comm Mbr (NOW SCOUTS BSA)

References

Bill, Thanks for your post…

I am currently registered as Council Committee Member (47)
Merit Badge Counselor (42)
PAS user

Based on Ed Avignon’s advise, I have just been registered as a CM for our Camp Crew.

We will see if that allows me to search ScoutBook for duplicate Emails once that pushes thru to ScoutBook.

Greg

NOTE. The following applies to my Scouting Tools, not Scoutbook.

What is “CM for our Camp Crew”?

At the beginning of the year I was only registered as a district member at large and merit badge counselor. The BSA software developers tend to not be informed in software development plans that some non-unit related positions and functions exist. This year my “my Scouting Tools” account had to be rebuilt twice (calendar year and council charter year).

I did manage to get BSA IT to fix my term end date on the app membership card this year,

My “unit id” for at least one app is now the id code used for my district. I do not know what is being used for council-level positions.

You may need to be identified as a member of each district membership committee and district training committee to have access to reports available in Member Manager and Training Manager tools.