How to add a secondary role to a registered leader

I need to add a new member coordinator role to one of my registered leaders. We don’t have enough leaders to have someone dedicated to this role. Is it possible to assign this role as a multiple to an existing den leader and how is that done with Internet Recharter 2.0?

Use the Add Existing to multiple them, and you can only multiple the COR. No other role can multiple in the same unit.

1 Like

Not exactly.

There are REGISTERED positions and FUNCTIONAL ROLES.

You are correct: you can only be one REGISTERED position per unit (other than COR).

But you can hold one or even several FUNCTIONAL ROLES

I am a committee member. That is my REGISTERED position.

I am also Troop Trainer and Key-3 Delegate. These are my FUNCTIONAL ROLES.

The FUNCTIONAL ROLES, or at least 6 of them can be assigned in my.scouting.org → Organization Manager → Position Manager

COR delegate (only the COR can set this)
Key-3 delegate (any of the Key-3 can do this)
Registration Inquiry
Unit Advancement Chair
Unit Training Chair
Youth Protection Champion

Scoutbook allows you to add other functional roles that appear in Scoutbook only, such as Treasurer, for example

New Member Coordinator is a registered position, not a functional role. It is a specialized type of committee member.

@JohnLowen, I guess part of the question is whether you need the functionality of a NMC or the “headcount” for your registered committee members.

If you just need functionality, then assigning a functional role like Key 3 Delegate or Member Inquiry(?) to your DL-registered scouter should get you there. However, if you need another committee member to make the minimum registration requirements, you might be stuck having to register the DL as a MC to get there, assuming that leaves you with enough DLs to charter. That’s the IMHO Hobson’s choice that the BSA’s registration limits seem to force on units who can’t recruit enough adults to register to fill all of the actual roles.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replies. I need it to be a registered position to pass recharter validation. I have more than the required leaders to pass validation. I just need to tag one of them as New Member Coordinator and was hoping to do it through a multiple registration. I may try to shuffle some leaders around to get around the validation issue.

You only need a NMC, if you do NOT have 2 or 3 Committee members

1 Like

Packs need 2 registered committee members (position codes MC, PT, or NM).

Pack Trainer (position code PT) and New Member Coordinator (position code NM) are specialized types of committee member, but they are optional – not required.

Your Chartered Org. Rep. can dual register as Committee Chair or as a Committee Member. This might be an option for you.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I am dual registered as COR and Committee Chair. I am going to move a den leader into a committee member position for now and try to recruit a committee member going forward. My understanding is that you only need one den leader which I certainly have. We are a small pack and finding willing adults to take positions has been difficult. I am also registered as a Den Leader (Lions) and ASM for the Troop.

A lot of us struggle with getting enough volunteers, so I wish you success in finding at least one more person who’s willing to get trained and spend “just an hour a week.” ;^).

I can see the registration as an ASM (the troop, while presumably the same Chartering Org is considered a separate unit). I didn’t think that the COR could be registered in more than two roles, in the same unit, and only as COR plus a committee-type role (CC,MC,NM,PT).

Also: Yikes! That’s a lot of hats at once…

1 Like

They can’t.

Registration Guidebook of the Boy Scouts of America

There are no restrictions on the number of positions one person may hold as long as the individual serves in only one position per unit with the exception of the chartered organization representative (CR), who is the only individual that can be registered in more than one position within the same unit. The CR may also serve in a multiple capacity as the committee chair (CC) or as a member of the committee (MC, NM, or PT) within that unit.

You are not supposed to be able to be registered in a third adult leader position (Den Leader) in the same unit.

A potential drawback to registering someone as a Committee Member when they are actually a Den Leader is that there is a Den Leader Training Award, but they need to be registered as a Den Leader in order to be eligible. On the other hand, they would be eligible for the Scouter’s Training Award for Cub Scout leaders.

2 Likes

The den leader I’m thinking about has already received the Den Leader Training award. The local council allowed me to be registered in the way that I am.

I’m not criticising. I’m just saying that the system should not have allowed it.

2 Likes

Does anyone know why a person can have only one REGISTERED position? I have a Tiger Den Leader who will also be the Cubmaster. Is that problem? Why?

Not angry, just a little frustrated and wondering about the rationale here. Looking for the tools to provide easy buttons, not make things more difficult. :slightly_smiling_face:

Tagging @JenniferOlinger since she seems to have an official position as a Scoutbook User Advisory Council member.

BSA policy is only the Charter Org Rep may have multiple positions in a unit. I believe it is because they want units to have more leaders and not overburden folks.

2 Likes

If you need an official “why” on policy issues like this, you likely need to go through your council professionals who can reach out to national BSA on policy questions. The policy itself is laid out in a couple of different documents, including the Registration Guidebook.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply, Ed. We always want more leaders, but we don’t always get what we want. It feels like a fairly unrealistic policy to me, but what do I know.

Rick Seifert, Charter Organization Representative

Round Rock Presbyterian Church

512-202-1088

Registration Guidebook of the Boy Scouts of America

“There are no restrictions on the number of positions one person may hold as long as the individual serves in only one position per unit with the exception of the chartered organization representative (CR), who is the only individual that can be registered in more than one position within the same unit. The CR may also serve in a multiple capacity as the committee chair (CC) or as a member of the committee (MC, NM, or PT) within that unit.”

1 Like