Internet Advancement Calendars - color differentiation?

We agree. Many of those features will be added. I’d personally wait to train them until it stabilizes.

@WilliamNelson You posted the following in your announcement:

The Internet Advancement Calendar shares the same back end database with Scoutbook Calendar, so events scheduled using one will be visible and editable in the other.

But in Scoutbook it shows the following banner at the top of the page:

The Scoutbook calendar is migrating to Internet Advancement and will no longer be available after November 2023. You may log in to Internet Advancement to try the latest calendar feature.

Which is correct?

Until the redirect happens, you can see the events in both because they share the same back end database. After the redirect, in November, there will be only one calendar interface.

@williamnelson You may want to clarify that in the original post.

Also, I will ask the question… Why?

I was just starting to get buy-in in from families and scouts to USE Scoutbook and now its going to change. What was wrong with the Scoutbook calendar?

3 Likes

From what I have seen with the new IA calendar over the last week or so it has direct tie into the activity logs, etc. It’s just the implementation of Scoutbook 2.0 piece by piece.

Will the payments log in Scoutbook still be able to identify a specific outing from the calendar for which we are creating a charge on a scout account?

I’m confused about how the calendar will be visible to the scouts and parents. When they login to scoutbook, they will have to go to IA to see the calendar? Upcoming event will be no longer be visible? This seems ridiculous to use separate programs and parents are going to be in an uproar. We just switched to scoutbook and already on shaky ground to explain it to the troop. Now I get to tell them that what we learned isn’t there anymore. Go to my.scouting for this thing, scoutbook for this thing, internet advancement for this thing. Come on.

3 Likes

The next few events will continue to show on the unit and subunit pages. But when you click onto one of the events or the calendar as a whole, you will view them in the new interface.

1 Like

Well, I am glad you are happy and excited about this new calendar that is replacing the Scoutbook Calendar. I think it is a first-class boondoggle.

1. unless you happen to stumble onto this thread you would never hear about this until the note appeared in Scoutbook.
  2. we already have to work across three platforms to do anything that has to do with unit administration; Scoutbook, My.Scouting, and Internet Advancement.
    When Scoutbook was brought on, everything was being moved over to Scoutbook. there are many things that were never brought into Scoutbook and some stuff that has, is being migrated back out.
    It is a real pain in the neck having to navigate all three platforms to accomplish your unit administration needs. For once, I wish BSA would cut the bureaucracy and settle on a single platform that includes everything in one place and be integrated together.
    THIS IS JUST NUTS ! ! ! ! ! !
    Steve Terry
    COR - Troop 1996B, Troop 1996G, and Pack 4996
2 Likes

That is the plan. One system. Time and money is all that stands in the way. The current Scoutbook platform is 10 years or more out of date. The bankruptcy decimated staffing and budgets. We don’t see the staffing cuts as much in other areas, but in IT, things are clearly moving slowly.

1 Like

Good afternoon. As the calendar in SB is phased out what will be the best way for youth to add/edit events in the unit calendar? We currently use the “calendar editor” role to give our PLC access. Will there be role based permission to the calendar for scouts after 11/9? Thank you for your time.

Yes, that will be added

Could anyone help clarify what that plan is? Is Scoutbook our single platform, or are we moving to something else?

Repeating a question from others: If the plan is a single platform, why are we removing the calendar from Scoutbook?

Is there a roadmap anyone can share to illustrate where we’re going technology wise?

Thanks in advance.

@MatthewRoss1 - the plan it would seem is go phase out scoutbook itself. The core of scoutbook is classic ASP that is well over 10 years old. You should notice that sections of scoutbook are moved into IA, that is the intended path to replace the old code that is scoutbook.

1 Like
  1. I can’t figure out how to edit events in the new calendar site. It looks like I can create a new event but I didn’t try to save it.

2. Will the old URLs https://scoutbook.scouting.org/ics/******.ics continue to work? Or must everyone who has subscribed to the pack calendar resubscribe?

2b) the new .ics does not include the event description text. (https://api.scouting.org/advancements/events/calendar/****)

Edit: it actually does include DESCRIPTION but the ICS Calendar WordPress plugin we were using does not display it anymore, unknown why.

Following this thread

I asked the question separately over in this thread. The answer is clear and not so bad!

see the announcement here:

I find this so frustrating. I have been using Scoutbook since way before BSA bought it. It was awesome! Any requests for additions or new features were addressed in a reasonable time.

Since BSA bought it, they have taken away more and more features, and slowly moving everything over to IA which is not very user friendly. Scoutbook has always been so easy to use and easy for scouts to read. IA is not that way.

IA is difficult to use and visually unappealing. So sad to see that BSA took over a wonderful program and little by little… ruined it. All with the goal of killing it all together.

I tried to add events to IA since I just saw the banner stating that SB calendar is being discontinued. I can’t see how to add upcoming events to an email. Or how to see upcoming events without going to each month calendar.

@ChristineBaggette - as a long time user as well it is difficult to move on but it must be done. Realize that the cide that is scoutbook is over a decade old and is no longer actively supported or used. Keeping it going is not wise, helpful or cost effective.

This has to happen whether you or anyone else likes it. Time to move forward