Many existing reports are not working

More garbage:

Joe,

For the Scout you highlighted, is Requirement 3 marked complete in Scoutbook?

Please send an e-mail to scoutbook.support@scouting.org with the URL of this report so we can get it in front of the developers.

Everything is correct in Scoutbook, and everything shows correctly in the old reports. It is the “new” reports that are broken.

Here is some more…blanks for many scouts, even when the requirements listings are not messed up:

The old reports worked fine. These are not cases of scouts working under older versions of requirements, or anything like that.

Bizarre, @JoeMcKinley .

To add to the confusion, I can’t even get the individual Eagle requirements to display as @JoeMcKinley has them doing, even when I have them ticked to display:

I don’t even get the Life or Eagle requirements appearing for scouts that show as having earned these ranks.

After some fussing around, it appears that the new Report Builder Manager-created report doesn’t display the requirements at a given rank if nobody in the “block” of scouts displayed together has any of the individual requirements marked as complete.

ETA: Added snapshot below to demonstrate observations. None of the scouts in this block marked individual requirements complete.

ETA2: I can confirm that, like @JoeMcKinley, I am seeing the correct information in the CSV file, so it seems like maybe some sort of a display “optimization” UI design decision?

ETA3: Nope, scratch that. I’m seeing garbage in the CSV that I didn’t see in the displayed reports. For example, a scout who has only recently completed Tenderfoot is showing as having completed the time-in-grade, Scout spirit and PoR requirements for Eagle. There’s definitely something hinky going on with the reports.

Also, when the information in the reports shows as blank, as in many of the pictures above, the CSV has the correct information.

When the information is innacurate in the report, it is also inaccurate in the CSV.

When there are garbage requirements included, the CSV looks just like the report for those lines, including the blanks.

OK, please send the URL to scoutbook.support@scouting.org so we can get the developers to look into the problem.

Does anyone know what the share scope of the shared report feature is?

If I share a report, who can see it?

Reports are shared only with others in your unit.

That seems bad.

Is any scout for whom a viewer does not have ‘view profile’ stripped out?

What if they don’t have ‘view advancement’, and advacement info is included in the report?

What if they don’t have full control, and private info (like DOB) is included in the report?

Hopefully all of this has been thought through and the behavior is documented somewhere. How can users access that documentation?

If this has not been thought through…you should disable that capabilitiy immediately until it has been worked out.

That has been considered. A shared report will only display scout’s for which the user has the appropriate permissions.

I submitted what I was seeing. SSD-71239

Thanks Charley. I have passed your’s and Joe’s on to the developers.

My ticket number is SSD-71251. My reports say “no scouts available”.

Hrm…support’s response was

Unfortunately there was some issues with the new report builder. I believe the old report builder has been put back onto the site for now.

As far as I can tell, the Report Builder Manager is still what’s available, but maybe it’s meant to roll out overnight today or something.

I wrote back basically saying that I understand it’s not a simple fix, and to please advise when it’s believed resolved so I can confirm that I’m no longer seeing the issues.

Support is wrong. Old report builder has not be restored to production.

Yeah, that was why I thought I would share the response here.

Normally, this is something I would do over PM to a mod/admin so it can get addressed internally to the team, rather than publicly calling-out support. Doing that’s a cheap shot, especially when I know that support isn’t monitoring the forums. That said, the PM route’s not available to me, so all the dirty laundry is out in the open. The folks at support often seem like they’re doing their best, but without an easy line of communication to the actual technical people doing the work, I often find myself wondering whether or not tickets are simply marked “closed” because somebody sent a response – any response – rather than “work-in-progress” because the solution isn’t even Dilbert easy. :wink:

1 Like

So, looking at the new roll-out of Report Builder Manager, it appears to have solved one of the problems I had previously reported under SSD-71239.

A report no longer has to include a scout of higher rank in order to have that rank appear in the report under “Next rank”.

Previously, if there wasn’t at least one scout in the report at Star, Life, or Eagle, my First Class scouts wouldn’t show Star as the next rank. It was just blank, even though the percentage complete shown below was non-zero.

Some were working but now none of my reports work. What is the status of this?

David,

The developers are working on this. Please send an e-mail to scoutbook.support@scouting.org with the URL of your reports that are incorrect and the timestamp line from the top of the reports. The timestamp will look similar to this: Generated: 06-26-2019 08:39:35

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.