Merit Badge Counselor Report not updating

(If you are reporting an issue with My.Scouting, please include all of the following items so we can better assist you:
1) Hardware: Desktop or Mobile (if mobile, please be specific) Desktop
2) Operating systemWindows 10
3) Browser Firefox. Chrome, Edge
4) Browser cache has been cleared or you are using a private browsing mode (aka Incognito Window in Chrome) Browser cache cleared did not help
5) Member ID & Council of person affected 131096684 (among many others) Chester County Council 539
Thank you!)
New merit badge counselors can be registered and show up on the My.Scouting.org, Menu, (council),Roster, Reports, COUNCIL MERIT BADGE COUNSELOR LISTING, Run. When they are then registered for their merit badges, or additional merit badges are added to existing counselors, the merit badges show up in Scoutbook (so I know they were entered) but they do not show up on the report, even after several weeks. All the new merit badge counselors we have entered since January 4 show up on the report with no merit badges.

The developers know about this issue and are working on it.

1 Like

The merit badge counselor report is now working, but I have a few issues with specific merit badge counselors that our registrar does not seem to be able to resolve.

Erik, ID 130911145, is registered for 10 merit badges. The registrar has verified that he is correctly listed in her My.Scouting screen, but in the Council Merit Badge Counselor Listing report, each of those merit badges is listed twice (Animation, Animation, Coin Collecting, Coin Collecting, …). The mbcounciling column correctly lists 10. I can not find any other anomalies in the reports I can see about him.

Christine, ID 136527408, wants to drop Disabilities Awareness and keep her other five (Coin Collecting, Hiking, Music, Public Speaking, and Reading). She is listed for all 6 on the Council Merit Badge Counselor Listing report I can get from My.Scouting, and in Scoutbook, but the registrar says she has no merit badges listed on her screen so she can not edit the merit badges.

James, ID 137422338, is registered as a merit badge counselor, shows on the council roster report from My.Scouting as a merit badge counselor, and the registrar confirms that on her screen he is listed for Backpacking, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in he World, Citizenship in Society, Cooking, Disabilities Awareness, Hiking, Reading, and Sports. He does not show on the Council Merit Badge Counselor Listing report and does not show up in the Scoutbook MB Counselor List.

Matthew, ID 136799383, is registered as a merit badge counselor, shows on the council roster report from My.Scouting as a merit badge counselor, and the registrar confirms that on her screen he is listed for American Business, American Cultures, American Heritage, American Labor, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Emergency Preparedness, Fire Safety, First Aid, Law, Public Health, Railroading, Salesmanship, and Swimming. He does show up in Scoutbook correctly, but does not show up on the Council Merit Badge Counselor Listing report I can get from My.Scouting.

I also have a more general question. In ScoutNET, each merit badge was individually listed as Troop Only or not. Until this week, the merit badge counselor report had notes after specific merit badges that indicated (Troop Only). The Council Merit Badge Counselor Listing report now has a column for the counselor (not each merit badge) strtrooponly that is Yes or No, but for new merit badge counselors it is blank and the registrar says she has not found any where to enter this information. Do you know where she can specify Troop Only either for specific merit badges or for a counselor?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Yours In Scouting,

Tom Stalnaker
Council advancement committee
Chester County Council 539

Tom,
I sent you a direct message. Click on the green circle with the T at the upper right; then the envelope

Bill

Tom seems you are a person that can point us in the right direction. When we click on invite counselor, we no longer are able to see the list of counselors and if I search for the last name of a counselor that I use before still show NO results…is the system down?

Alejandro
I am not an expert on Scoutbook. I am a volunteer in Chester County Council who has had my own series of challenges with data. I can see the merit badge counselors when I look them up by name or badge. I am not a unit volunteer so I do not see exactly the same screens you do. I would post your issue on the forums and one of the members of the Scoutbook User Advisory Council should be able to help you.
Tom

1 Like

I would like to generate report for list of MBC for the troop only. The current function under myscouting /report/ could only generate report under district, the filter did not allow that. Need help.

Merit Badge Counselors are a district or council position, not a troop position. That said, it is possible to do what you want in Scoutbook using Roster Builder.

2 Likes

There are no MBCs registered with your troop, because MBC registrations are always on the Council or District charter. By default their listing in Scoutbook is Council Wide, but a MBC can specify that they want to only work with Scouts from one (or several) troop(s). The person(s) in your Council or District who manage the merit badge counselor list in Scoutbook can download a list with this information. From their Dashboard, they can “Manage Approved Merit Badge Counselor List” then “Download the current mbcdetails.csv file.” The list will be for the whole council, but could easily be filtered for any counselors that have specified that they want to work only with your troop. This will probably not really include all the people you want. You can also just use the normal Scoutbook merit badge counselor selection process, which will display counselors based on geographic distance. Many councils do not even allow MBCs to work only with a single troop.

1 Like

The report @jacobfetzer mentions above, works if you build it yourself. It is nice to see in one spot for a particular unit.

1 Like

I suspect the goal is to see what “resources” are available within the unit for merit badge counseling. Particularly for units in councils that are “large”, the distance from your area to the next available MBC can be significant. Unfortunately, the geographic distance doesn’t work well, particularly where ZIP codes are mixed among councils or are very large. I’ve seen the same problem where the closest counselor listed for some badges is miles further away (apparently because we share a ZIP code) than someone I know is a counselor for that badge who lives “up the street” (but is in a different ZIP code). That’s part of what makes the ability to list the folks in a particular unit who are MBCs (and for which badges) useful.

1 Like

Thank you all for the clarifications. But my point is under Myscouting/ Reports, there is a note under " COUNCIL MERIT BADGE COUNSELOR LISTING -Listing of current merit badge counselors that can sorted by badge or troop only." I thought I can get a report there sorted by troop but actually not.

yes, that is my concern, too.

@ChauYuet_chu

There is a field in the registration DB that allows an MBC to restrict their counseling by troop. I suspect the by troop listing only shows those MBCs that have specified they will only counsel for that troop, not that they are associated with the troop because of another position or a Scout in the troop.

I do not believe, outside of Roster Builder in Scoutbook, has any report that will show MBCs associated with a single unit.

Thank you and noted. Yes, listing only shows those MBCs that have specified they will only councel for that troop would be good enough, but it cannot be done.