Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

More Camping Nights Choices

For Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class, it is required that the nights you spend camping be in a tent or other structure that the Scout helped erect. But for other awards, such as the National Outdoor Badge for Camping, do not require the camping nights to be in a tent. I suggest that there be three options for each entry for camping nights. One for tents. One for cabin (and other indoor camping). And one for an improvised structure (i.e lean-to, snow cave, tepee). There could also be a small image of a tent/cabin/tepee that goes after the Location/Camp Name in the Camping Log overview.This can be used to help Scouts organize their night for rank advancement, merit badges, and other awards.

1 Like

I agree! Basically, if you chose @ days/nights of camping, it would default to . If you don’t want to use this feature, that is ok. If you wanted to use it, you could then choose between cabin/indoor or tent/structure you helped to erect.

For now, when we log camping we always put (cabin) for indoor camping nights. If in a tent, we either put nothing or (tent).

Same. That is what I use and what is recommended to the Scouts in my Troop right now.

I like having more detailed options in Scoutbook. Good stuff.

Just to clarify though: the National Award (Camping) requires 25 nights. 20 of those nights are provided by the Camping MB. The Camping MB requires “Sleep each night under the sky or in a tent you have pitched. If the camp provides a tent that has already been pitched, you need not pitch your own tent.” So it’s only 5 nights that can be “whatever you want”.

Now… if only we could get things to auto-update. 2 nights of camping automatically updates a tracker in the camping MB, which then automatically updates a tracker in the National Award.

1 Like

@SM.Siciliano Yes, but keep in mind that there are gold and silver devices for the National Outdoor Badge for Camping. A gold for each 25 nights over the original and 100 nights for the silver. So, if Scoutbook does implement a tent/cabin/implemented structure feature then it could be used for those as well.

1 Like

Great point! I hadn’t considered the devices!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.