BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

New Report Builder

In case you haven’t noticed yet, Report Builder has a brand new look and feel. Let us know what you think.

Previously, Scoutbook released improved Report Builder output that allows reports to be saved to pdf or exported to csv. Now to continue the Report Builder improvements, a new Report Builder “Designer” replaces the former Report Builder where Scouts, ranks, and merit badges were selected to include in the report, with the option of saving the report to your Dashboard.

All those features are still there with the new Designer, with all your existing reports, but with the added ability to also include awards and select all Scouts, ranks, merit badges, all Eagle-required merit badges, or all awards with a single click of a checkbox.

Reports saved to your Dashboard can now be shared with the entire unit. Access to the data on the report depends on the usual permissions to view it. Shared reports appear in a new Shared Reports menu on the Dashboard, showing the name of the user who shared it. The reports you share cannot be changed by others, but you can copy shared reports to your own Dashboard and set options for your own purposes by clicking the ‘Save’ button of a shared report. You can also change options on a shared report and run it ad hoc without saving it.

Additionally, there is a new Report Builder Manager where you can share, unshare, or delete your reports at any time. You can also hide or show others’ shared reports on your Dashboard’s Shared Reports menu from Report Builder Manager. Unit admins can unshare or delete others’ shared reports.

Scoutbook will be using this new Report Builder platform to add more features. Please feel free to report issues in the Scoutbook Bugs forum or request improvements in the New Scoutbook Feature Requests forum.

2 Likes

Users who are used to an old Report Builder report showing immediately when you click on it will notice that it now takes you to the Designer where there are “Save” and “Run” buttons. This gives you a chance to change the report and either save the changes before running it, or simply run it ad hoc without saving the changes.

1 Like

I’m not sure if this is where this should go, with this new report builder I like being able to share my reports with others in the troop and having the chance to edit before I run the report. However, is there a toggle so that I can have the display that we had before? Running the report now gets me multiple pages instead just a one page snapshot that shows what I want need from my report. Here is a screen shot of what it was before. Thanks (and sorry if this isn’t where I should be posting this),
Will

1 Like

I am having the same issues printing reports as Will. I used to print the screen shot scaled to fit on one page. Now, it automatically creates page breaks. What I used to be able to fit on one page is now over 4 pages. The layout on screen is fine, but is a bit awkward when printed.

Reduce the column size so that we can have one page reports again.

As they are, I will no longer use reports at all, (and I used to use dozens of saved reports) because they no longer serve the purpose of providing a quick visual summary of patrol or troop wide advancement progress.

Please bring back the old format, or at least minimize column sizes and allow an option to NOT break the table up into sections.

I concur on the need to bring the single page reports back or at least a similar version of it. The new format is simply not usable in its current state. I hope this is being worked on because the previous report system and its simplicity permitted concise and timely assessments of award status.

1. The auto break of the columns stinks. Everything that falls off the page is stuck on the bottom of the next table, and doesn’t get the itemized rows, just the first column entry. Hate it and it makes using a wide report VERY useless.
  2. Viewing report in macOS Safari is junk (I had to install Chrome to see the report in a non-bungled state).
  3. All in all, it’s worse (for everything I use for) than it was before, and it wasn’t a joy before.

You’ve broken half of what I use Scoutbook for (reporting on activities, requirements, and advancement).
Voila les screenshots of the brokenness:

Greetings,

Thanks for all your feedback!

Development is continuing with Report Builder to bring you the things all of you request, and more, including reduced column size and an option for a single page view in the browser. These are coming very soon.

Report Builder will continue to receive attention according to your comments, and a few other things too.

Thanks,
JW

3 Likes