Obscure Bug in Organization Manager

I was recently made a CO Rep Delegate. I had discussed this change with the COR and we agreed that since my Webelos DL responsibilities were done, I would move from DL to Committee Member.

I tried to make the move, but got the error “Position Requires CBC”, no changes were allowed, and nothing could be saved. I look and another DL is missing the shield with the check, but I have it.

My guess was that the system had a bug that as long as anyone in the DL corps was missing the shield no changes could be made.

I worked with the other DL to get the COR signed, I turned it into the Registrar, she entered it, the other DL got her shield, I went in, and could move myself from DL to Committee Member, got the save option, the world moves on and everyone is happy.

Clear bug. Obscure, but a bug none-the-less.

2) Windows 10
3) Windows Chrome, Windows Edge, iPhone
4) Yes
5) ID 135549993 Bay-Lakes Council

It’s broader than this. I’m pretty sure it rechecks the entire roster, both for the CBCs and any other issues. For example, my pack somehow had no CM listed for a time, we couldn’t use the tool to change other positions (or even add the CM), because we hadn’t met the requirements for unit leadership.

With that in mind, I’m not so sure it’s a bug. After all, it forced you to fix an issue in your unit.

Well, at a minimum the error is wrong since it sad CBC is required for this role. While true, it really meant (but didn’t say) there is a problem with one person in your unit and I won’t let you proceed until you fix it.

The other is is that what happens when the adult that needs it is no longer active in the unit. We have seen this in say, September. It shouldn’t lock out all changes since in that case, it can’t/won’t get fixed.

Agree that it is a challenge for units. It is an even bigger challenge for units that are overseas in TAC or Far East Councils; as getting the shield requires that you have a US address. If the unit has a leader that has been living overseas for a while and does not the US address, they will not get the green shield, at which point their will never be a way for the unit leaders to utilize these tools.

It is a bit different than Scoutbook. I think Scoutbook means you are synced with my.scouting. These purely mean a criminal background check is on file.

Scoutbook Green Shields:

Position Manager CBC Blue Shields

Are you saying it didn’t who had the issue?

In my experience, we had several people get flagged during recharter for not having a CBC. I then sent a note (no forms completed) to the registrar who added a date for it. I’m a little fuzzy on the details, but I get the impression the dates didn’t always register properly even though they had one, and there was a way to look it up. Maybe that was because they scanned or otherwise saved all the forms. So, I’m not sure if all councils would be able to update it so easily.

DL A had the shield
DL B did not

When I tried to move DL A to the committee, it errored and said position requires CBC.

When I got the CBC resolved for DL B, the move of DL A could be made and saved.

What if DL B was “done with the unit”? No changes until recharter?

Why say “position requires CBC” error for DL A move since DL A was already compliant? The error would more accurately be “all CBCs for all volunteers must be good to make any changes”. I wouldn’t like that, but it would be a more accurate error.

@Matt.Johnson,

Potentially, the solution path for your Case 2 (i.e. DL B no longer with unit) would be for the unit to contact the registrar to end the registration for that adult. However, I can easily see the council being reluctant to do that, since it could have monetary/work load implications. That said, I had always assumed that folks for whom council never executes/records their CBC wouldn’t get registered in the first place. Clearly there’s some change in operational process that’s now checking whether or not that has happened.

That said, I agree that a clear error message is essential to easily resolving what the actual issue is.

If a volunteer registers online, the agree to the CBC digitally. Over 3 recharters now, those volunteers have been missing the CBC. We have had to provide them at recharter time. Well, they did agree to it, but haven’t provided a “wet signature” paper copy. That was true in the case of DL B.

People seem to think that is “never” done unless in the case of being removed for cause. I don’t know their reasons, but one could be work load. The other is what if the person wants back in.

We’ve never been permitted to use online applications based on the rules from our CO, so I haven’t seen that particular issue.

Yeah, I agree that it’s non-zero work to have to “remove” someone from the roster. At the same time, it seems like the systems are being set up such that it may be the only solution in some cases (such as the case you outlined). For the most part, I don’t mind whatever the systems’ limitations are, as long as the system is both self-consistent (i.e. if a background check is required and not recorded, you can’t register someone) and well-documented (e.g. if an error occurs, the error message is sufficiently detailed to identify the actual problem). Unfortunately, neither of those is free, either. :slightly_smiling_face:

ETA: However, if a unit roster continues to synch an adult who is no longer actively associated with a unit back into that unit’s Scoutbook roster as a scouter, then that adult potentially has access to information to which they no longer should have access. Arguably, it’s also a risk-management issue for the BSA if people who should be removed (even if not for “cause” as in being banned from participation) are left in place.

I definitely agree that the error message could be more clear and ideally identify which leader has the issue. @RonaldBlaisdell is this something you can request?

Work is already ongoing to fix the shields.

3 Likes

Update - The shield represents that the BSA records indicate the person has a current CBC authorization form on file (these are at the council office). It has nothing to do with passing a CBC. If you are a registered volunteer you have passed a CBC already, unless it is in process.

I assumed as much. That finding is tangential to the bug. Thus that is not the solution, the bug still stands. Please glace over my original clarify post.

DL A had the shield
DL B did not

When I tried to move DL A to the committee, it errored and said position requires CBC. It did not specify what position or who.

When I got the CBC resolved for DL B, the move of DL A could be made and saved.

What if DL B was “done with the unit”? No changes until recharter?

Why say “position requires CBC” error for DL A move since DL A was already compliant? The error would more accurately be “all CBCs for all volunteers must be good to make any changes”. I wouldn’t like that, but it would be a more accurate error.