Parent not able to start or send Messages

Aha! What if she tries from her dashboard? That got my “test parent” the full list of scouts in the troop.

Same results from this page as with the Unit Page and the patrol Page.

I am an unit admin ( the SM). I have reset her permissions multiple times, reset her connection at her Scouts profile Etc. Still no change.

Well rats. Just when I thought I had figured out why you and I were seeing different results.

@ToddDaniels - I just sent a message to your parent asking her to go to her scout then click on her parent listing, uncheck parent, then recheck that box and update. I will not give up until we can get this working. I did notice that she appeared to be logging in with SSO or it seems that way. Does she show a member Id in her account ?

Her member id is in her profile. We have tried the unchecking and checking under the parent listing and then updating. That did not work either. Not sure what SSO is.

@ToddDaniels - ok so you have tried that parent thing under her login then ? How about uncheck then update and then re-add the parent check box. The SSO is to connect the original account with the my.scouting.org login. I am not certain if that plays a role in this but did notice it.

Done and no changes. She is logged in using the SSO.

@ToddDaniels - same result of no message option no matter the browser used ?

I apologize if you’ve already addressed this. Did they get the same results on multiple devices and browsers?

Also, if you try logging into their device with your credentials, do you get different results?

The message icon is there, but again nothing happens.

They are getting the same results on multiple devises. One is an IOS and the other is a standard PC.

I have not tried logging in using my credentials. I will need to get an opportunity to give that a try.

Have they tried the forgot password link? That can sometimes reset things.

@jacobfetzer - good point there. I did notice in my remote session that the user did have to back out the saved password. Logging in as myself all worked. I then modified a “family member” account to parent and all message options were available.

Do I need to have them reset their password or just click the reset password link?

Yes, actually reset it, also.

Reset password and still not working.

Can her son log in with his credentials (assuming he has been invited to connect to his account) and see if he can see the messaging interface and create a test message? Maybe it’s originating at that level rather than at the parent’s account.

At this point, I’d suggest sending an email to scoutbook.support@scouting.org.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.