Parents cannot see the scouts in their family

I have some parents, not all, that cannot see the scouts in their family. I am in email communication with one of them, and I asked her to login, click on the pack name, then click on “Pack Register” and scroll to find her son’s name, and refresh the connection in his profile, as I saw recommended in the Scouting App Forum, thinking that was the problem.

However, she replied that when she logins in, the only thing she sees on her Dashboard is the Council name. She doesn’t even see the pack listed. I know that I added her to the pack, because I see her name listed on her son’s profile. Not every parent is having this problem only some. I am new to Scoutbook and have no idea what is causing this problem.

Hi, @StephanieWorden,

Only registered leaders in the unit can see the unit roster, I believe.

A couple of questions:

1. Are the parents in questions current or former registered adults in any BSA capacity (e.g. leaders, merit badge counselors, etc), have they taken YPT, or did they register using the online form? Any one of these (definitely the first two and possibly the last one) will generate a BSA ID which may cause complications with login.

2. Are the parents logging in with their email addresses or their my.scouting logins?

3. When you look at the scouts’ accounts via the unit roster (My Dashboard → My Units → Unit Roster → Scout’s name), and scroll to the scouts’ connections for these parents, do the parents show up with a little closed link next to their names as in the snapshot below, or is it a broken link?

4. When you then scroll down and click on “Scout’s name’s Connections” (snapshot below), do the parents show up as pending (second snapshot below)?

This might indicate that something happened when accepting the invitation to connect to their scouts, either on the user side or on the code side.

One possible workaround would be to go into the dashboard for each scout with the problematic parent connection (via the path I described above), click on the parents’ names, and inside the connection dialog that pops up, click on Update (don’t change anything). That might kick-start the system into recognizing the parent connection.

I don’t know if this is a problem that is occurring for a lot of other units, but I’m wondering if it’s better to report it to scoutbook.support@scouting.org before you do anything to “fix”/work-around the issue. That way, they could try to diagnose what’s going wrong before they fix it.

SUAC, thoughts?

1 Like

Thanks! Something I read said that I should post in the forum first.

I will have to check with parents, but I checked all of them that said they had accepted the Scoutbook invite because I knew that a few said their connection with their child was pending. I had reported this problem to the email address you mentioned, and it seems to have recently cleared up.

I do know that the parent in question said she doesn’t even see the pack name on her Dashboard, which she should be able to see.

I will send out an email and ask parents your questions to see if we can figure out what’s going on and get back to you. Thanks!

Hi, @StephanieWorden,

To be clear, the parents generally won’t be able to see most of what I posted. I assume you’re only talking about asking questions 1 & 2.

If you have received a SSD number in reply to your email to scoutbook.support, could you post it here so that the SUAC can use it to help follow-up with the developers? It would appear in the subject line (and also in the body, I believe) of the message.

We have seen cases where the indicators showed a connection but something wasn’t quite right. YOU should go to the scout’s name > connections > parent name and click update. This can refresh the connection.

If that doesn’t work, my suspicion is they have two accounts somehow and are logging in with a different one than you are seeing. That could fixed by emailing support.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.