Report does not include email addresses of parents who didn't connect

Yes, the vanishing is the way it works.

As far as the other data, I’ve never really investigated it. The parents in our unit who are missing data in the roster are missing the same data in their profiles.

SUAC? Is there a “do not publish my info” setting somewhere in Scoutbook?

I wonder… @ChristyDryden, are all of your new parents’ accounts created through the online application? Maybe it’s a default setting at my.scouting that gets propagated behind the scenes.

There is not. Usually it has to do with accepting the invite to connect, especially when they were already in the system.

No, there is not a “Do not Publish” button somewhere in Scoutbook. Some adults remove their data. Not sure why, but have seen it. It is also possible that the data was just never entered into Scoutbook.

Thanks, @jacobfetzer & @RickBerg.

I asked because of this bit of @ChristyDryden’s post:

It seems like the data is there for at least one adult who apparently accepted the invite. I couldn’t come up with a reason for that behavior, so figured I’d ask if there was a new feature buried someplace that didn’t make the announcement list.

I’m a little confused on where this thread has wandered. If it is true that Scoutbook is not even displaying the adult’s core contact info (phone, email address, etc.) to authorized people in a unit, that is poor design.

That said, that is not my experience, so I suspect that particular connected adult somehow got entered with no contact info. Not sure how that could happen as I think the email address is required to set up a connection.

The idea is that you shouldn’t be able to see an adult’s Personal I do by searching for and selecting their name. They need to accept the invite to connect to a scout in your unit or the invite to be a leader in the unit, before you can see their info. Of course, this has lots of nuance, and the more complicated the requirements, the more likely to have bugs in the edge cases. If this is a bug, we want to get an understanding of how it is occurring.

Yes, that generally makes sense. Otherwise, you could farm details about unconsenting adults by simply randomly adding them to your unit.

If that’s the intent, it seems like it might be working backwards.

I pulled a roster for all of the families in my pack and everyone who I entered manually shows up. The issue is with the parents who had a BSA account created as a result of being listed as a Lion/Tiger parent partner on their child’s application. They are not showing up in the roster, even if I can see the address info on their individual profile page.

For these parents, I was able to look up their names, find them, and add them to their cubs’ accounts. I then verified that I had the right person by comparing the address info with what was on the application. All address info was there and easily visible.

Parent who has NOT accepted invitation:
As far as I can tell, anyone could add them and see this info

After this parent accepted the invitation, I can no longer see his contact info from that page:
I CAN, however, click on the Edit Profile link and see that address and phone number is still there.

All parent records that I have manually created seem to be working as expected. It’s only the ones that were created at a council level then sync’d to our pack that are behaving oddly.

Have those adults logged into Scoutbook?

Can you accept the invitation to Scoutbook without logging in? I got an email saying that the one with no visible info had accepted the invitation I send. I haven’t gotten that notification for the others. Is there a way to see if they’ve actually logged in or how recently?
Strangely, I was sure that he had the linked connection symbol next to his name on his son’s page earlier, but it is showing as a pending connection. I double checked, though, and the email is still in my inbox with this guy’s name on it, so I’m not completely losing my mind.

You can see the last login info by going to the unit roster, clicking on the gear icon for the scouts, and selecting show parents.

Thanks. That’s a useful tip for everyday use!
I found two other parents who also don’t show profile info in the easy view area, but it’s in the profile. All three show as being in “connection pending” status and never visited, but I get the warning that they have connected with their account and should be the one to edit it. One of the three has a son in the troop, but mom handles things with the cub, so I understand that one.
But this is the email I got about the second one:
“We thought you would like to know Ryan just accepted the invitation to connect. He is now linked to his account.” So I’m not sure what to make of that.

For the people with kids or positions in other units, they have to accept an invitation in each one.

If you go to the connection between the scout and parent, do you have an option to send invite again? If so, do that.

That’s nice, but this kind of information shouldn’t be so difficult to find. It should be available in some kind of report or more intuitive place.

Somehow this topic was marked as resolved. It is not resolved, and no solution has been provided. I have un-marked the erroneously flagged solution.

Other than the Roster settings not sticking after logging out of the browser, what is difficult about looking at the Unit Roster? Why kill trees?:wink:

1 Like

I think it’s due to the fact that my answer responded to @ChristyDryden’s question, rather than the OP bug report from @ArenCambre, which was citing a different issue.

That said, I think that having it display the last login when you Show Parents in the roster is a report. It’s not printable, but I’m not clear why that would be a key feature. It seems like data that’s only meaningful at the time it’s pulled from the database.

1 Like

I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hijack the conversation. I thought that my problem and @ArenCambre’s were related and I’m still not fully convinced that they aren’t. My problem also isn’t resolved. Being able to see when the parents logged in last wasn’t the thing I wanted to know - it was a minor step to answer a question I had been asked in the process of troubleshooting why I couldn’t see the email addresses!

@ArenCambre
If you’re still having trouble generating a roster that includes everyone’s email addresses, try doing an export. I was concerned about the missing addresses because our pack uses a SOAR website for all our communication and has been importing the roster from Scoutbook, so the missing addresses would have really screwed us up - but they’re all there in the .csv.

I don’t think that is available to den leaders? That is part of the challenge.

Have you figured this out yet?

For the people whose email addresses aren’t showing up in the roster, are you able to see their info if you go to their pages one at a time? For mine, it appeared that all new people who were added as Lion/Tiger parents had contact info blocked from the roster, but that info appeared on their individual pages - at least initially. Then at some point, it looks like they somehow accepted the invitation to Scoutbook without getting linked to their child, and their addresses were hidden from the Pack there, too.

Do Den Leaders have the ability to edit an adult profile?
All of my people who have had their contact info disappear from their main page still have an “Edit Profile” button I can click that allows me to not only see their info, but also change it. If that’s just because I have admin status, that makes a tiny bit more sense, in that the admin piece seems to be working, but the Leader piece is lacking.