Report of only requirements needed?

I see what people are getting at here. We need a better way to directly target the immediate rank requirement needs of scouts.

I want to be able to see:
All kids not having yet achieved the first class rank
Grouped by each requirement for the CURRENT rank requirements they are working on.
With a total number of kids working on that requirement
With the requirements listed from top to bottom with the requirements having the most “need” at the top.

This just isn’t possible even with exporting to excel and attempting to pivot, mainly because there is not a column for the rank that goes along with a requirement. The rank of the requirements is in a separate row, almost like a subheader.

If I could create a table that was like:

Rank of Requirement|Requirement and Description|Requirement Status|Scout Name|Scout Next Rank

I could easily create an Excel pivot table out of that, but would agree with others, not all volunteers are able to do an export, import into Excel, create a pivot. Maybe Power Automate could help, not sure but who has access to that?

As it stands, I’m a full stack Software Architect and I cannot get the targeted data that I need.

2 Likes

@RichardCollette these are the settings I use in Report Builder for that and it has worked since 2016 - obviously with Scouts Selected

Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 7.15.43 PM

That is essentially what I’m doing but still doesn’t allow for filtering to just the requirements that they need for the current rank they are working on, nor grouping scouts by rank/requirement

Scout
   Requirement 1a
        John Smith
        Jack Smith
        John Glen
    **Total** 3
   Requirement 1b
        John Smith
        Jimmy Doe
    **Total** 2
1 Like

I thought “show empty requirements” limited the output to only the incomplete parts. Is that not the case?

You might be able to get closer to the pivot table approach with a full advancement export from the Scoutbook Export/Backup button. I’m not sure how much filtering you’d need to do, but having a table could make it easier. In principle, if you set up a set of macros, you could just replace the data sheet periodically, then run the macros to summarize the data.

I agree that having a native summary could be handy, but it’s not a make-or-break feature in my mind.

Remember to respectful and kind. Scout law not only applies to the scouts but the adults.

100000% agree!!! Let’s be honest, Scoutbook was tricky for leaders to learn how to use initially. I’ve gone over how to use it with parents, but they don’t use it frequently and can’t navigate it. Having the ability to print out what needs to be completed for parents is essential.

I just cannot think of a good way to only show the uncomplete in an organized way. This is a Scout to First Class we use made in Report Builder; Names in Top row so cut off. Other than rank versions you can easily go through and see the Scouts that have the rank and if they do not you can see what they are missing. The advantage of this compared to a report of just 1 scout, we can see all the scouts missing a requirement at one glance. Like in middle of the image 3 scouts are missing the EDGE Method requirement and 5 are missing the Scout Spirit signed off.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.