SB says record is in sync with the national BSA database but scout is not in IA 2.0 roster

I’ve added a scout to SB and next to their name it shows they are varified by the unit (green shield with check mark) and that they are in sync with the national BSA database (capital letter A with circular arrows going around it) however the scout is not in the roster in Internet Advancements 2.0. What is the relationship between SB and IA 2.0? I thought I could assume that if I added advancements in SB and the scout record shows as being in sync with BSA that the advancement is now part of the Scout’s official BSA record.

Thanks

YIS
Larry

Larry

Scoutbook and Internet Advancement share the database.

If the Scout appears on your roster in Member Manager ant my.scouting.org then send an e-mail to myScouting@scouting.org explaining the issue and include the Scouts name and member ID.

If the Scout is not in Member Manager let us know as the sync icon should not be showing.

Thank you for the quick reply. I’ve asked our committee chair to share the member manager list with me. We are evaluating Scout Book, we’re using TM at the moment. I’ve added a test scout in SB who’s name is not on our official roster so I could test out the features such as advancements. Since we have Webelos 2s that join summer camp we need to get them into SB so we can record their merit badges. Historically it has taken some time for the scouts to officially hit our roster, often not even by our first CoH. Since we don’t want to hold up recording and awarding the advancement we would enter the scout into SB, record merit badges and then I would expect that they would eventually (automatically?) be matched (sync symbol would appear) when the scout is finally added to our roster.
At this point I assume we should be able to go into each advancement and “approve” (blue tick mark).
We also want to enter the Webelos 2s in the fall of the previous year so they don’t miss any important communication but some of those scouts may decide not to join and we would then remove them from SB. I’ve tested this again by adding another “test” scout and they now have the “Sync” symbol next to their name after only a few minutes of being in our SB. I’d like to understand what the “sync” means as I wanted a way to know when the advancement data successfully recorded in the BSA database. We have had a few times where the name we put in TM does not exactly match what was put in during BSA registration which requires us to fix the names in TM. If this occures in SB would I expect the scout to be in there twice and I would have to move their records to the record added by SB sync? I know the for Internet Advancement 2.0, the first name, last name, and BSA ID all need to match. Is this the same for SB?

Thanks

YIS
Larry

@LorenzoDa_Ponte - could you post screen shots of what you are seeing ? If the test scout is not a real name with no bsa id I am not certain that sync icon would show up.

A scout that is not on your roster at my.scouting.org will not appear in Internet Advancement.

There is an issue with the display of the sync icon. The developers are aware but we do not know when it will be fixed.

Thank you for confirming. I’m hoping we don’t have to use Internet Advancement if we use Scout Book. Can you confirm one thing, what data fields does BSA use to “match” a scout in SB?

Larry

Scoutbook uses First Name, Last Name and Date of Birth to match Scouts if the Member ID (BSA#) is not in the profile.

That will only happen for entirely new scouts. For scouts that cross over from Cub Scouts, their original Cub Scout version of them will transfer to your troop when the paperwork is eventually processed to move them to you officially.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.