Scout account access not showing link to troop records, etc

ok trying to fully repo this - tried 3 different ways on test server to no avail so I need more details I think

1. you had existing scout profiles with parent connected?
  2. Where they in or out of a patrol?
  3. Then parents went to edit profile and invited the scouts
  4. They logged in successfully?
  5. Then you changed or added them to a patrol
  6. Then the accounts did not work or show their advancement?

Also check the profile and make sure BSA# is there and correct

Also Log in as you and go to the Scouts Profile - look at the URL and look for ScoutUserID=XXXXXX write down that number

Then go to Scouts Account > My Dashboard > Reports > Individual Report > Generate Report > look at that URL and ScoutUserID=XXXXXXX

Do the 2 match?

Try resetting the parent connection for your test Scout:

1. Go to your Troop Roster page.
  2. Click on the name of the test Scout.
  3. Click on a parent’s name.
  4. Click on the Update button.

Not sure if this will fix the issue or not, but it is worth a try.

I just tried to reproduce your bug using my Scout’s account, but it is working as expected.

@ScottKing3 I think I am about there - How did you add to a patrol? Reassign button? want to follow all steps - Just made a scout out of patrol and gave access and he has the wrong view

This is not a view for a scout

This is the correct view

Here is the issue, when Scoutbook created the link they assigned new BSA#s to test scout access accounts. Now this may have happened after the patrols were created. Hence the links would not recognize the troop access. Here is where it gets more interesting:
On one of the scout accounts we logged in by SSO profile to correct BSA id # of scouts access account. When we did it removed the BSA ID from the scout on the troop account. The Scout’s access account then reflected the correct BSA ID # but the troop account then had a scout without the BSA ID #. When trying to add the correct BSA ID # to the troop account we received an error message that the account was already assigned to another user:

BSA Member #: The BSA Member Number already exists under another user account in Scoutbook. Please check the number or try to remove the number from the other account first.

So for the other accounts created they have incorrect BSA ID #s and for this one scout with the correct BSA ID# on his scout access account, the troop cannot enter his BSA ID because it has to remove the number from the scout’s access account. interestingly, just a few hours ago the changed scout access account has reverted back to the created BSA ID # one (ie if not signing on by SSO profile). Good news is his records are all linked correctly in National db, bad news is Scoutbook created a new BSA ID # (likely when scout added to patrol it created a different one for scout access account). Now we could potentially lose any scoutbook data over summer entered if we were to delete scout from troop account and re-add. The other test scout access accounts are useless now as they cant access the troop data or relink by correcting BSA ID # in scout access account. Only option given is to delete entire scout account.

Hi, @ScottKing1, @ScottKing3,

Actually, if you have two accounts for the same scout, I believe you can email scoutbook.support@scouting.org, and ask that they merge the accounts. You will need the ScoutUserID value from the end of each account that @DonovanMcNeil mentioned in his earlier post. You’ll also need to provide the correct BSA ID, and ask that they preserve that BSA ID, the parent connections, and the unit/patrol memberships. That should avoid the problem of losing any data.

The production Scoutbook platform is not intended to provide testbed accounts, especially those which share ID information with real scouts, which is what it sounds like you’re saying is the case here. At best, you can create a “fully fake” account, be sure not to include a BSA ID, and never have it sync with nationals.

If you get different accounts logging in with email vs SSO credentials, then there are two accounts and they need to be merged. That has happened for us several times. I’ve never seen it happen when moving a scout to a patrol, even if he was created without an assigned patrol.

deleting account will not change a thing - the BSA # is still in the DB. The SSO Login makes sense but it seems you went about this real backwards.

Here is what you need to do - Go around and find all the ScoutUserID=####### like I said and match them up for the 2 scouts showing

Write an email to Scoutbook.support@scouting.org and explain what happened say ScoutUserID=XXXXXX meeds to be merged with ScoutUserID=YYYYYYYY - with YYYYY being the primary one.

The process for giving scout access should be:

1. Add parent to existing scout
  2. Parent goes to edit profile of scout, clicks on invite scout and enters scout email address
  3. Scout receives email invite with temp login password
  4. Scout logs in and with any luck changes password
  5. Scout is now connected to the record and unit.

and it appears they need to be in a patrol first - still working through that little bug

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.