Scout Disappearing from Scoutbook

We have a new scout who joined, and was in Scoutbook, but has now disappeared, he is still showing up on the roster in my.Scouting.org. His family has now missed several Pack and Den Activities, and the family is on the verge of leaving. I reported this to our council IT/Registrar but have not received any response. This has now been going on two weeks.

@JohnColligan what is the BSA number?

@DonovanMcNeil This is an open forum, should not be sharing PPI.

BSA IDs are not PII. They can’t be used (absent a name) to recover any PII.

Sharing BSA # is perfectly safe - we solve problems all the time this way @JohnColligan

1 Like

@DonovanMcNeil How will you use The BSA ID then?

@JohnColligan SUAC has a group with access to the national databases to figure out issues - we can see more than your council can

@DonovanMcNeil And Sorry Typo on my part I mean PPII, not PPI

@DonovanMcNeil Type again, need more coffee, P I I Sorry

I can send you a private message if you would prefer

@DonovanMcNeil Can you just send me instructions on how to fix it. I know you are a well meaning Volunteer, but I am not sure a Private message will resolve my concerns.

There is nothing you can do to resolve it. have fun seeing if council can help

@DonovanMcNeil Wow! Just as an FYI I am a DSO, and an Account number, membership number or any type of Identification number is very clearly PII per DoC, DHS and GPDR.

John,

If you read through the forums, you will see there are several thousand issues the SUAC has cleaned up that Council staff cannot help with. You have 2 choices to get your issues resolved.

1. Work with the SUAC to resolve the issues.
  2. Work with your Council professional staff.

Feel free to choose 2. I can guarantee it will take longer to get resolved. SUAC volunteers are on the forums from early morning to late at night 7 days per week solving problems, while Council staff work normal business hours and fixing user issues with Scoutbook is not their top priority.

Donovan has offered to send you a private message if you would like our help so you do not have to post random number to the forums, that, without additional information, is not useful to anyone. This is why when we request a BSA Member ID, we state not to post any names.

2 Likes

@edavignon First I am more then happy to work with SUAC to resolve the issue in any way, short of anything that could hurt a scout and/or violate their privacy. I asked for the steps to fix the issue.

Names are not the defining characteristic of PII. COPPA clearly lists UNIVERSAL IDENTIFIERS as PII. GDPR also has similar guidelines. The fact that there are several thousand instances, is not really relevant. Scouting should be focused on protecting the youth in our program, in all ways.

@JohnColligan I will send you a direct message > look at top right Avatar to find it > it will be a green dot with a number 1 > it will be a private message channel with select members of the Scoutbook User Advisory Council (SUAC)

National has told SUAC - sharing BSA# (or MIDs) is not PII - as it is a closed Database. There are no steps to tell you as you do not have access to the data, and in many cases neither will your council. SUAC does though. You can respond in the private message with the BSA# and we can take a look.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.