Scoutbook Added Completed Merit badges to Scouts that were never started

Had an issue where Scoutbook added 22 merit badges to scouts that were never started or attempted. Clicked as leader completed and approved, on dates where the leader had not attended or logged into scoutbook.
Is it a glitch between Internet Advancement and Scoutbook?

Then there should be a name attached to who it was that clicked it OR does it say “BSA Administrator”?

In this fictional example from the Scoutbook sandbox it is “Jamie Troop”.

@ChrisPratt what is a Scouts BSA # and what merit badge?

The merit badges were listed as completed but not approved.
The tag said that I did it on 11/15/21 completed on 11/8/21
However, I did not enter these…and why would i enter 42 merit badges for 2 separate scouts that happen to be brothers?

The merit badges are as follows:
ANIMAL SCIENCE
BACKPACKING
BIRD STUDY
CAMPING
CANOEING
CLIMBING
ENERGY
FISHING
FLY FISHING
GARDENING
GEOLOGY
INSECT STUDY
KAYAKING
MAMMAL STUDY
NATURE
OCEANOGRAPHY
PLANT SCIENCE
SCUBA DIVING
SOIL AND WATER CONSERVATION
WEATHER
WHITEWATER
WILDERNESS SURVIVAL

I removed each one individually.
BSA #'s 131604383 & 131604381

We caught the issue when we ran a to be purchased report. Completely baffles me as to how or why all these merit badges would be there when I’m the one that takes care of Scoutbook, and I know I did not enter these.
There are some off the wall merit badges on the list.

@ChrisPratt

Because you have already removed the MBs from the Scout’s records, there is nothing for the SUAC to investigate.

The audit information that would have been on the MBs would have indicated who marked the MB as completed. Keep in mind, a Scout or connected parent can mark anything complete but only a leader can approve. Complete simply means the Scout has done the work and is ready to be tested.

We recommend not using the Approve All function in the Needs Approval report unless every award and requirement has been reviewed and the individual approving them (ideally a Scoutmaster or Assistant Scoutmaster for a troop) knows there is nothing “extra”.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.