Scoutbook not sending event reminders or emails

AWSWEBSCTBK1A is still spinning when I try to send emails.

2 Likes

Same - this is really a problem, Iā€™m trying to contact the folks who RSVPā€™d to our camping trip this weekend and this is making it a real challenge.

Server: AWSWEBSCTBK1A

In Chrome, I was able to get sending messages to work by:

Open Developer Tools: Ctrl+Shift+i
Navigate to Application tab
Under Local Storage, Session Storage, and Cookies: Right-click on https://scoutbook.scouting.org ā†’ Clear

Weā€™ve been having this issue since at least February 11th. We tried to send out an email and it didnā€™t go through. On Saturday the 12th, we tried again several times with many families checking to see if anyone received it. We found out that day that some of our members had not received an email via Sb for over a month. All of the parents are marked to receive emails and after 4 years of use, this was the first time Iā€™ve had problems with it.

Between all of the drops, inability to add leaders, leaders and Scouts disappearing, unable to accurately list activities / attendees, and more, our unit has decided to no longer use Sb. We will record things into it when it lets us, but it is no longer a reliable tool.

Server: AWSWEBSCTBK3C

@WendyLatella

A server that was causing problems this morning was taken off line. Have you tried to send a message after noon today or is your report from earlier in the month?

BSA IT was able to duplicate the problem on a single Scoutbook server. That server was removed from the pool at 10:00 AM Central on February 25 while they investigate the root cause.

If anyone sees the error after this, please report the server you were logged on to. It can be found below the Scoutbook logo at the bottom of each page. It is in a low contrasting color so that it is not easy to see. I have circled it in this screen shot. You can copy/paste the server from this portion of the Scoutbook page.

@WendyLatella - this is not an airport so no need to announce your departure but hopefully where ever you land is pure perfection

HA! Thatā€™s hilarious. It was part of reporting to IT - who is responding on this strand - unlike your negative comment. This isnā€™t social media. Trolling is not necessary, but thanks for the laugh!

Thank you for the update. Hopefully our leadership will receive the test message that just went out, but we still donā€™t have our full roster on Sb and are unable to add leaders so there are other problems that need to be fixed before we would be able to use the service as intended.

Are the missing scouts/scouters showing up on the official roster at my.scouting.org? If not, you may need to talk to your registrar about their memberships/registration. Scoutbook populates its roster from that source.

Similarly, Scoutbook checks adults against the official roster to ensure that they are registered before you can assign them adult leader roles in Scoutbook. Are the adults youā€™re trying to add as scouters showing on your unit roster at my.scouting? If not, youā€™ll need to coordinate with the registrar to either correct/renew/register them so that they appear on your roster.

@WendyLatella - a laugh is always better than being up against something not working. I get the frustration because the lack of email was a messy one. As noted by Charlie the roster at my.scouting.org should exactly match the roster in scoutbook. And adding leadrrs requires application ypt and cbc. Not like it used to be where you could move a parent into a leader spot.

1 Like

It is interesting that your comment on one issue in 4 years is grounds to declare the system ā€œno longer reliableā€. That seems pretty negative to me.

Way more than one issue - some listed in first comment. I am private messaging with an IT person about it right now. Have a great day

1 Like

Thank you. You are correct, but thatā€™s not the problem our unit and many others in our Council are facing. There was a recharter glitch that added back previous Scouts and Scouters that had been removed and all new Scouts were not only removed, but removed in such a way that even their parents could not review their records. (This is our official roster - not just Scoutbook.)

Our Council and the National Registrars have been working hard to get all of the hundreds of units fixed: one at a time, one Scout / Scouter at a time. The trickle-down problems have been we cannot transfer Scouts (no worries!), we suddenly cannot access records - problem (crossing AoL!), and more. It has been a learning experience for all affected and many are more than frustrated. (Imagine being a parent of a child new to Scouting, added in May - registered and paid for online - that is dropped at the 30, 60, 90 day spots, finally gets fixed in September, dropped again at the opening of recharter, fixed again on the last day of the year, and then the recharter glitch removes the child in such a way that even you cannot see their accomplishments / progress. Keeping that parentā€™s confidence and trust all while helping them to not be angry with the people trying to fix the situation is very difficult. Now multiply that by 10+ Scouts in your unit. Also, as a District leader in a District without a District Commissioner and which just got a new DE after almost a year without one ā€¦ and most District units are / were caught in this issue ā€¦)

Again, Council, National, and IT have been working hard on it. Theyā€™re responsive and helpful. Thereā€™s just a lot to clear up. I can understand why those not affected or unaware of the situation may see it as a ā€˜negativeā€™ or other-than-helpful comment to point out the unitā€™s confidence has been lost, but unless we continue to bring the new problems to the attention of the people who can fix it, nothing will get fixed. I have hope for things to get resolved and hope to help restore the confidence of others, but we will have the other way for the time forward.

I hope that better explains it.

Just to be clear, NO ONE from BSA IT monitors or responds on the forums or via private messages. The forums are supported by volunteers, but some of us have access to tools where we can solve user issues.

1 Like

I am not receiving the Cub Scout Pack emails that our Pack and Den Leaders are sending out via Scoutbook. The Pack leader says that somehow I have 2 Scoutbook accounts, which I think happened during the migration to Scoutbook.

The email address should be tremcqueen@gmail.com

Canā€™t send a timely email.
Tried to test last night and again this morning.
Mine doesnā€™t say the message was sent, it just continues with the ā€œsendingā€ circle.
AWSWEBSCTBK5A

@MelindaOliver

Thank you, I will notify the developers.

I will add that our cubmaster was able to send an email that I received at 10:22 MST last night, if that helps.
I tried after 11:30 p.m.

thanks again,
Melinda