"Scoutbook Tutorial for Parents (SB)" needs edited

Scoutbook Tutorial for Parents (SB) - Scoutbook Knowledge Base is sort of a mess. Specifically, the section “Setting up an Account Your Scout Can Use” begins like this:

If you wish to have your child have the scout’s own account you log in and click on their advancement record. Then the parent should login to Scoutbook.scouting.org, click on their Scout, then Edit Extended Information.

Also, the instructions are wrong; clicking “Edit Extended Information” goes to “Please use edit profile to edit scout information.”

Could this be improved please? My Scout parents are often none too Internet savvy to begin with; having confusing instructions doesn’t help.

1 Like

If the scout has already been invited (or already has their own account in my.scouting), I believe that’s what causes what you are seeing. If that’s changed, though, then the wiki definitely needs to be updated.

Thanks for the note

We updated the help document

The changes don’t seem to be live yet.

Aren’t these the changes?

From the bottom of: https://help.scoutbook.scouting.org/knowledge-base/scoutbook-tutorial-for-parents/#setting-up-an-account-your-scout-can-use

Er…the problem wasn’t that “Invite Scout to Connect” isn’t visible, it’s that “Edit Extended Information” doesn’t go anywhere anymore.

And that the text doesn’t make sense. "If you wish to have your child have the scout’s own account you log in and click on their advancement record. Then the parent should login to Scoutbook.scouting.org, click on their Scout, then Edit Extended Information. At the bottom of the page there is the link to add the Scout.”

You log in, click on the Scout’s advancement record, then log in to Scoutbook.scouting.org, click on the Scout, then on Edit Extended Information? That doesn’t make sense—nevermind that that whole paragraph is a mess, grammatically (who is “you” here, if not the parent? Who is “the child” if not the scout (not Scout)?).

Give us a screen capture of what you are seeing when you click on Edit Extended Information

This is what it looks like if scoutbook thinks they’ve already been invited. Sometimes it thinks that erroneously because it already has an email address on the account. If it thinks they haven’t been invited the button appears below.

This looks OK
The parent should follow the instructions I posted

Okay, I got fooled by the fact that “Edit Extended Information” used to have a bunch of info on it. So that screen still shows the checkbox if a Scout doesn’t have his own Scoutbook account?

It’s actually a button, but yes.

It also has the working toward toggle for Webelos/arrow of light and the working toward scouts bsa advancement for venturers.

1 Like

Correct, but only for the parent. It also shows some other info (e.g. for my son, who’s also in a Venturing Crew) it shows the Scouts BSA Advancement toggle, but only when his Venturing Crew is set to the primary membership.

Okay, I’m glad that part’s resolved, but the original issue is still present. The instructions say to log in, go to the Advancement page (which has nothing to do with this), log in again, and then click a link (it’s not a link) at the bottom of the page (it’s not at the bottom of the page).

And it changes person back and forth. It’s poorly written, confusing, and wrong. And if this paragraph is that bad, the rest of the page probably needs reviewed as well.

Would it help if I presented a rewritten version here?

It could just be bad wording. I made some wording changes, check again

That is definitely better, though the first sentence isn’t a sentence. The whole thing probably needs proofread.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.