Trouble with editing connections for a new Scout

I have a new Cub Scout in my Pack (I’m CC).

I invited him to the proper den, but it didn’t give the den leader permissions. Oddly, it gave a den leader from a different den full control.

I have had the issue before of not automatically granting the den leader permissions when a new Scout is added, but never having it assign the wrong den leader.

I cannot un-link the wrong den leader from the Scout. If I un-check the box next to Adult Leader and click Update, I get " Relationship: Please check all the roles that apply to this user. "

I cannot add the correct den leader under the “Adult Leader” option. I click the option for Adult Leader, and it keeps giving me the same " Relationship: Please check all the roles that apply to this user." error.

So, in frustration, I think I screwed things up even worse. I clicked all the boxes and figured I’d go back and un-click some of the boxes later.

Now the den leader is connected, but is showing up as the new Scout’s parent/guardian. And apparently this isn’t undo-able.

What do we do with this?

What are the positions showing for the den leader (to whom it wouldn’t connect the scout) at my.scouting? Is their position current? Is their position as Den Leader “approved” in Scoutbook? Do they also show as the Den Admin for their current den in Scoutbook?

Is the other den leader to whom the scout did get connected a unit admin by chance?

Only the council can fix this issue.

@ElizabethPrice If you post the Scout’s BSA member number, we can take a look. (No names, please. )

It should be obvious which one is the correct parent as they share a last name.

Thanks for taking a peek.

Positions for the child’s actual den leader are Webelos Den Leader and Den Admin. I believe they are “approved” in Scoutbook and we haven’t had any issues connecting her to other Scouts in the den (although some connect automatically when transferring into the den and some have had to be done manually; but that’s true in all our dens).

The den leader that did get connected to the Scout is a Pack Admin, now that you point that out. I do not recall making her a Pack Admin. It looks from the date that perhaps that happened when the Council processed our recharter in January. So that explains why she’s connected to him and I can’t un-connect him.

It still doesn’t explain why I couldn’t connect the correct one. Everything is current, her YPT is current, etc.

Interestingly, I can’t see this Scout in the my.scouting Pack Roster. He’s been a member of the unit and showing in the Scoutbook roster for about a month.

@ElizabethPrice OK I cleared the parent connection - I think the first thing I would do is go to Den Leaders position - click Den Admin - and resave it. Hopefully that will re-establish it correctly

1 Like

@ElizabethPrice Please try resetting the Den Leader’s Den Admin role.

1. In Scoutbook, go to the Pack Roster page.
  2. Click on her name.
  3. Click on her Den Admin role.
  4. Click the “Update” button to save.

You might also need to reset your Pack Admin role.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.