What is the best practice for dealing with "BSA Member ID does not exist" when upload MBC List?

Our Merit Badge Counselor upload to ScoutBook returns three types of errors based on missmatched or missing BSA MemberID in ScoutBook. And I would like to know the best way to deal with them.

The first is when the BSA Member ID in the uploaded record does not match the BSA MemberID in ScoutBook, but both numbers are in ScoutNet (Duplicate registration).
In this case, I have been Merging the two ScoutNet records, leaving the MemberID in ScoutBook as the surviving MemberID on ScoutNet.

The second is when ScoutBook finds a similar person in ScoutBook, but the MemberID on the found record does exist in ScoutNet. What should I do in this case?

The third case is when ScoutBook reports the “BSA Member ID does not exist” I assume this means the person has not created a ScoutBook account? Should I go ahead and post that counselor? If I do, will that casue ScoutBook to create an record for them? And if it does, how does that person access that record in ScoutBook?

Just trying to understand how things work and the best way to not cause problems!
Greg

Greg,

The first is when the BSA Member ID in the uploaded record does not match the BSA MemberID in ScoutBook, but both numbers are in ScoutNet (Duplicate registration).
In this case, I have been Merging the two ScoutNet records, leaving the MemberID in ScoutBook as the surviving MemberID on ScoutNet.

This is what the registrars in my council do.

The second is when ScoutBook finds a similar person in ScoutBook, but the MemberID on the found record does exist in ScoutNet. What should I do in this case?

This is most likely a situation where someone either let their membership lapse and ended up with a new number or the Member ID is assigned to a different council. I have no recommendation what should be done here.

The third case is when ScoutBook reports the “BSA Member ID does not exist” I assume this means the person has not created a ScoutBook account? Should I go ahead and post that counselor? If I do, will that casue ScoutBook to create an record for them? And if it does, how does that person access that record in ScoutBook?

I ran into this situation this week. I have asked the developers to investigate because in the past Scoutbook has created a new account.

Ed,
Thanks for your feedback. I hope someone will be able to tell me the expected behavior for ScoutBook when a new counselor, without a ScoutBook Login/ID, is uploaded to the council list. If it does create a new ScoutBook account, how does the person claim that account?

So far I have 4 folks in this situation, and I have been deleting their records from the ScoutBook Upload. If I don’t hear something in a few days, I will try pushing one counselor thru to see what happens.

Greg

While browsing thru the ScoutBook documentation, I discoverd a error “BSA Member ID does not exist”, means that neither ScoutBook nor My.Scouting.Org can find a matching person. It also states they will not be added to ScoutBook as a counselor. It then said something about tell customer care. What I have done is ask the 4 folks with the problem to make sure they have a My.Scouting.Org account, verify that their name and other info matches exactly what ScoutNet has, and ensure they are linked to the appropriate MemberID from ScoutNet. I will post again once I have the results from one or more of the counselors.
Greg

I wonder if this is a case where the member had two ScoutNet IDs, and registrar did a merge. But instead of keeping the number known to ScoutBook, they kept the other one. That would result in ScoutBook pointing at a non existant record. I think I will ask some of the folks in this condition to relink their My.Scouting.org account to their existing MemberID and see what happens.

Greg

Got feedback that at least one person was unable to modify the MemberID link in My.Scouting.org. I notified ScoutBook Support to see what they can do to help.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.