Payment Log - Transfer Balances/Credits between accounts

Good afternoon! A while back, I submitted an idea to improve upon the Payment Log functionality by having the ability to transfer balances/credits between scout accounts. Here is a link to the original post: Add ability to transfer funds from one scout's account to another

My original post went unacknowledged and I just wanted to see if anyone on the Scoutbook product development team noticed it?

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

Tim Fry
Pack Committee Chair - Pack 4228 - Heart of America Council
Senior Business Analyst - Canadian Pacific Kansas City Railroad

@TimothyFry - the dev team does not monitor the forums

Good to know. How do the new feature ideas that people submit here on the board, get presented to the Scoutbook product team/management?

Couldn’t you just do it with a debt and a credit on the 2 accounts? as it is not a real financial system

Yes, this is how the current-state procedure for performing a “balance transfer”, 2 separate transactions must be performed, requiring twice the amount of time and having twice the chance for user error. I understand that Payment Log is not a “real financial system” with real money being exchanged, but it is the system of record for our accounting and financial reporting.

Current state procedure:

1. View Pack Roster
  2. Click on scout/leader that needs to have their Payment Log credited/debited
  3. Selected scout/leader scoutbook user details page is displayed - Click on Payment Log
  4. Enter transaction details - Click Save
  5. System returns user to the pack admin home screen - Click View Pack Roster
  6. Click on scout/leader that needs to have their Payment Log credited/debited
  7. Selected scout/leader scoutbook user details page is displayed - Click on Payment Log
  8. Enter transaction details - Click Save (Hope that the user doesn’t mess up selecting the correct credit/debit action or entering the correct amount)

Proposed Future State:

1. View Pack Roster
  2. Click on scout/leader that needs to have their Payment Log balance transferred
  3. Selected scout/leader scoutbook user details/profile page is displayed - Click on Payment Log
  4. Enter transaction details (Select Balance Transfer option - System displays associated accounts to transfer to - User chooses account to transfer to) - User Clicks Save
  5. System makes the appropriate credit/debit transactions. User is returned to the previously selected scoutbook user’s payment log.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks,

@TimothyFry

How often do you transfer $ between family members?
How often do you transfer $ between non-family members?

Just trying to understand the scope of the problem so we can write it properly for the backlog.

Between family members: I’d say roughly 1-2x per week on average. However, usage really is dependent upon time of year. Higher use occurs during times of collecting payments for camp and during re-registration.

Between non-family members: I’d say it’s pretty rare. I think maybe 2-3x per year, and then it’s typically done in rare situations between adult/leader accounts.

This functionality was requested before the last major upgrade to the Payment logs but was not pursued by BSA. they wished to keep the logs as simple as possible.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.