Scout can't log into Scoutbook

@JohnSnodgrass,

Have some or all of these scouts been invited to connect to their accounts by their parents? The easiest way to identify that is to look at whether or not they appear in the possible recipient list in Scoutbook’s Send Message interface.

If so, have they previously been able to log in?

There wasn’t enough information in your post to determine whether some or all of the scouts had previously been able to log in, and if so, whether or not they were still appearing as though they should have access (e.g. appearing in the potential message recipient list).

Charley,

All of the Scouts are in the email list in Scoutbook and connected to at least one parent if not both parents. All of their accounts were working in 2021. No Scout has been able to log into Scoutbook in 2022. All Scouts have auto synch symbol too in the unit rooster. I thought it might be due to a recharter error or recharter not updating. It also dropped one of our ASM from the Troop somehow.

John Snodgrass
Troop 685 Committee Chair

All of the Scouts are in the email list in Scoutbook and connected to at least one parent if not both parents. All of their accounts were working in 2021. No Scout has been able to log into Scoutbook in 2022. All Scouts have auto synch symbol too in the unit rooster. I thought it might be due to a recharter error or recharter not updating. It also dropped one of our ASM from the Troop somehow.

There is an issue with Scouts getting a Whoops error when logging in. The developers are aware of the problem.

They supposedly pushed a fix last Wednesday, but it definitely didn’t fix the problem. Is there a new ETA to a fix? It’s becoming quite a challenge for scouts trying to document for rank advancement and merit badges.

1 Like

The fix Wednesday was for an issue that prevented Scouts in the registration grace period from logging in. The current issue is a timeout that is affecting many Scouts independent of the grace period.

1 Like

What does this mean?

Re-charters can’t be posted until after they expire. The grace period allows units to continue operating between the time a charter expires and the re-charter is posted. In some instances it can take up to 2 months to post a re-charter and thus get units, Scouts and Leaders out of the grace period.

1 Like

That doesn’t make sense to me. My husband and I are in the same unit as our scouts. We’ve been able to log in consistently through the time my scouts have not been able to log in. How could that be related to a re-charter issue if we are on the same re-charter? And my scouts can log in through my.scouting.org. The errors only happen trying to log into Scoutbook, or if they get into Scoutbook through the fiery hoops of my.scouting.org then IA the SB, they get the error trying to post requirement notes.

There are 2 issues. One involving the registration grace period with Scouts that has been fixed, the other being a performance issue affecting Scouts when they log in. The developers are aware of the performance issue and are working to resolve it.

Just to be clear - this isn’t an inconvenient, its-being-slow “performance” issue. This is preventing scouts (or at least mine) from putting in requirements. Even after doing the work around of logging into my.scouting.org then clicking on IA then clicking on SB to get in, they are getting the error when trying to post notes to requirements. I really hope this is getting an appropriate amount of attention.

1 Like

We understand it is more than an inconvenience. What I was told by the developers is that the root cause was a performance issue causing a timeout which is what appeared as a Whoops error.

This morning I was able to log in as my daughter and the system appeared to be working properly.

Please try again.

1 Like

I have confirmed that my 2 daughters can login today even though last night they could not.

I just tried both of my scouts again, and neither can log in. Multiple browsers, multiple devices - no luck.

Yes, the developers and data base administrators are still researching.

1 Like

My 2 daughters worked this morning. I tested one this afternoon and she could not login.

It was working for last couple of days, but my scouts are getting whoops errors on login again, today. They send mail/text through SB and youth leaders adjust the calendar when they can use the site. Any ETA?

On this error some info might help - the Server they are on is hidden on the page. Devs think it is one server - I have seen 2. The more we can copy and paste to this thread the servers, the more info we MIGHT have.

Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 7.30.04 PM

What do you mean by copy and paste to this thread the servers? I’m happy to provide info if I know what to give.

Here is one that didn’t work for my daughter.
AWSWEBSCTBK2C