Scouter Training Certificates

A couple months back I stumbled across a feature in the My.Scouting training module that allowed me to print a certificate that indicated I had completed CS19 Cubmaster Training. I’ve done these for several other roles as well, but I’ll use it for the purposes of this question.
certificate

For the life of me, I cannot find where to pull down those “rolled-up” certificates again. I can see the certificates for individual training modules, but I’m looking for that one certificate that indicates “position trained”. Has this feature been removed?

I just looked and can’t find it.

Looks like they have redone the user interface at ScoutingU.

I also cannot figure out how to show I’ve completed the entire course. I also see what you see where each I can print a certificate for every single lesson within the course, but not one for the whole course itself. It’s bizarre.

If you go to your profile and Click on My training it now list all of your trainings and you can print the certificates for each of them. Training has been recently updated, think you will like what you see. yics bc

I just finished my position training for Assistant Scoutmaster, but I can’t figure out how to print my certificate for completing the entire course. I found where I can print each individual module from the course, but I shouldn’t need 20 certificates to show I am position trained. If anyone has any info on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Do you need the certificates specifically, or do you just need your unit to be able to verify that you’re trained?

If it’s the latter, and you’re already registered with the unit, the Key 3, Training Chair, and Key 3 Delegates can just search for you in the Training Manager at my.scouting.org

1 Like

@ConnorLangkopf - as a unit key 3 i never ask for the certificates as I can see I the training dashboard of my.scoutung and note who is trying and who is not.

1 Like

Well, I’m sure my unit key 3 will be able to see that I’ve completed it online, but I was more worried about sending the certificate in with my camp staff application. I would like to provide proof of my Merit Badge Counselor training and my Scoutmaster training, as both of those are relevant to the position I am applying to.

Council staff can also access all training records. You should not need to send training certificates in with a camp staff application.

Try the CHATBOT at the log in too. New feature here… Type “Training History” and a MemberID and last name you can get much of what you seek.

1 Like

The problem with someone checking all your training records to see if you are trained for a position that requires multiple modules is they have to check multiple modules. And a person that has done multiple positions has done lots of training. We have two folks w/ our pack that have over 100 training entries, and one w/ over 300. Checking their training is tedious.

YPT requires four modules. When you complete them, the system sends you a certificate, which is also appended to your training record. To show your completion of four modules, you can print your certificate.

Why does the system not provide a certificate when you complete your modules for a particular position?

• Cubmaster - 14 modules
  • Pack Committee Chair - 15
  • Chartered Org. Rep - 4
  • Den Leader - 16
  • Pack Committee Member - 9
  • Scoutmaster - 18
  • Troop Committee Chair/Member - 17
  • Merit Badge Counselor - 6
  • District Committee positions - multiple

The council can see every position for which an individual is trained. They do not need to count modules. For registered leaders, the Key 3 can find out if they are position trained or need additional training. Again, for someone who is trained, there is no need to count completed modules.

1 Like

Ed, is that limited for each position a person is registered in? The tools I can access only aggregate to show trained if a person has a registration in that position.

The council can see which positions someone is trained for even if not registered in that position. Unit key 3 can only see if a person is trained for a position they are registered.

1 Like

@RickHillenbrand - I tried this, and it doesn’t work very smoothly.

If you open the chat and just type training history 12980042, it says it doesn’t understand what you mean.

So, I said Hi as it suggested.

Then it asked my name.

I said Peter.

Then it gave me a list of things it could help me with.

When I typed Training History 12980042, it couldn’t undertstand me. So I just typed Training History.

It asked for my BSA ID number. Then it asked for my last name.

It produced a list of 10 modules I’ve completed which seems to be in no particlar order and says “And 92 more…” which is hotlinked at the bottom of the list. When I click on that, it takes me to the same page I could get to by just going to my Completions page, which would have been much faster.

What I can’t tell from the chat feature or from my Completions page is whether I am trained as a den leader, because I am registered as a Cubmaster. I know I have completed den leader training (several times), but if I completed it in the current module era, I would have to know which modules add up to a completion and then manually check each one.

2 Likes

Someone posted in the Cub Scout Volunteers Facebook group this morning that their council wants them to submit proof of training completion along with a leader application. That seems harsh to me, but I believe a council is permitted to do that.

Not only is it harsh, but the council tells them they are looking for the attached. CS19 Den Leader Trained Certificate.pdf (194.0 KB)

That certificate is available to download when a leader completes the final module and apparently at no other time. I saved mine, but I don’t recall the gravity of failing to do so being impressed upon me. It should say something like, “Download and keep this certificate in a secure place. You will never be able to generate it again.” Alternatively, folks should be able to generate them again.

I only completed the CS19 den leader training to stay current. I was first trained as a den leader when I was part of a district training team that presented the new Leader-Specific Training courses when they were released in the fall of 2001. So, the certificate is of little importance to me other than being able to check that I’ve completed the current course.

For this Scouter in a council that is requiring a printed copy of the certificate, this is a big deal. The only reason they would have to ask for this is that they are doing lots of manual processing and want to save themselves the trouble of looking it up.

A good solution would be for the system to aggregate the modules and show completion of position training with the ability to view/print the certificate on the Completions page.

Peter, when I look up my training using BSA’s Training Validation tool, I see, as the first 3 entries, CUB SCOUT ADULT TRAINING SERIES. There is no course code. Dates are 2015-10-22, 2016-07-20, and 2019-02-15. 2015 matches to the “200” series of CS modules; 2016, the revised “200” series; 2019, the CS-19 series. (No entry for the “250” series of 2018.) However, I have no way to access any of these entries, and don’t know what they actually are. I am registered as pack trainer, so they are probably for completion of committee member training. However, I completed training for all CS positions, so this remains unknown.

Using your ID# posted above, your training account also shows CUB SCOUT ADULT TRAINING SERIES, dated 2020-04-23. This matches the date of your DL certificate.

It looks like the system generates an entry for something related to your online training, but does not allow you to access it after the fact.

@PeterHopkins I tried to spell out the steps in sufficient detail. If you deviate from the prescribed path you will not get to the destination outlined in my instructions. So let’s try this again:
1 - Using My.Scouting CHATBOT on the log-in page, after the CHANTOB says “Hi” enter 'Training History"
2 - It will ask for the Member ID. Provide the Member ID of the person of interest.
3 - It will ask for the LAST Name, enter the corresponding last name for the person of interest.

The screen will display many entries, probably not the ones you want, and a hyperlink “And xx more…” Click the hyperlink if you want to see more. it will push you to a new My.Scouting window. Once you log in, a “My Training” window will open listing all the training.

See the details with screen shots I have created and alternatives to Training VAlternatives to Training Validation.docx (349.0 KB) alidation in the attached. There is a Position Training Requirements report that outlines what training a person needs to take to be considered trained in a specific position.

@DougWright - When I look myself up in the Training Validation tool, the first entry says CUB SCOUT ADULT TRAINING SERIES 04/23/2020. The 04/23/2020 date is the date I completed CS19 fo Cubmaster, den leader, pack committee member and pack committee chair courses. I completed the 2018 250 series in late 2018, but, as is your case, no entry for it shows up.

If I completed four position training course on 04/23/2020, why is there only one entry? Shouldn’t it say which one was completed?

@RickHillenbrand - As I said in my post, I was able to eventually get to my own Completions page on My.Scouting using the chat applet. I’m just not sure why I would do that instead of clicking Menu ==> Training ==> Completions starting at the home page, since it is much faster.

I trie dto use the chat applet to see someone else’s Training Completions page, and it didn’t work. I entered the Scoutyer’s first name, BSA ID number, and last name when prompted. It responded by saying, “We found the following training records:” followed by a list of 10 completed courses and the hyperlinked text, “And 180 more…” The 10 completed courses shown were his. When I click on the hyperlink, it takes me to MY OWN Completions page, not that of the other Scouter. I tried it twice with the same result. So, this appears to not be working if you need to check training for anyone other than oneself, unless the person has completed 10 or fewer training modules. The Training Validation Tool remains the only option, and it remains necessary to match up individual modules with a list of those that compose training for a position to determine whether a person is trained.

I have the Position Training Requirements report along with several older versions, since some folks completed training before 2019. To determine what a den leader who completed CS19 den leader training needs to do to become a trained pack committee chair requires matching up the modules the two positions have in common and then weeding out those common only to the committe chair position and finally checking the Scouter’s completions in the Training Validation tool to see whether any of those are completed. Even this, as much work as it is, is not foolproof. Someone could have some CS19 modules completed but actually have become a trained den leader prior to the launch of CS19, The only way to avoid missing this is by manually checking each module in the Training Validation Tool.

It just seems like this has become far more complicated in the past, If someone took Cub Scout Leader Basic Training (C23) in 1995, the got a card signed by the course director and the Scout executive or a designee. If that appears in the Training Validation Tool, we know we’re ok. The downside was they probably had to give up an entire Saturday to go get trained in person instead of being able to do a little each night in their pajamas at home. We’ve created abumndant convenience for volunteers who want to get trained, but we’ve sacrificed ease of accessing information.

In the training system, there is no course with the code Y01. However, when someone completes SCO 3008, SCO 3009, SCO 3010, and SCO 3011, the system creates a record that Y01 has been completed. Why can the system not create a record that Cxx, identified as CS19 den leader training, has been completed when SCO 450, SCO 451, SCO 452, SCO 453, SCO 454, SCO 455, SCO 456, SCO 457, SCO 460, SCO 461, SCO 462, SCO 463, SCO 464, SCO 465, and SCO 466 have been completed? This should show up on the Scouter’s My Completions page with the ability to print a certificate - the same one briefly available when the final module was completed - at any time in the futuire, even if that person is not a registered den leader. I see from my own My Completions page that I can print my certificate of completion for New Leader Essentials from 2001, even though the course was in-person on the 78th floor of the Empire State Building and not online. So, it seems people who complete a set of modules online that compose training for a position ought to be able to do the same thing.