"Warning, another user is using the same e-mail address."

(If you are reporting an issue with My.Scouting, please include all of the following items so we can better assist you:
1) Hardware: Desktop or Mobile (if mobile, please be specific) = Desktop
2) Operating system = Windows 11
3) Browser = Chrome
4) Browser cache has been cleared or you are using a private browsing mode (aka Incognito Window in Chrome) = Yes and Yes
5) Member ID & Council of person affected = 14622637 David M. Szostak (parent)
Thank you!)

When I’m on the Dashboard Scoutbook it states, “Warning, another user is using the same e-mail address.” My email address is davidmszostak@gmail.com and I just signed up my son, David Q. Szostak.

Did I do something wrong? How do we fix this?

David
c: 7738499333

This is fixed @DavidSzostak

1 Like

I’m getting a warning that another user is using the same email address as mine. Can someone look into this please?

Thanks

SB User ID:

BSA Member ID:

@VincentCoronati

Your childrens’ SB accounts had your e-mail address on them. I have removed the e-mail address from both.

Just remember, you can always “modify” and email address by inserting a plus sign + and a descriptor. So if my child uses my email, I could register under ron.blaisdell@gmail.com, and my child could be ron.blaisdell+child1@gmail.com and they would be considered unique email addresses, and you could even filter any email that comes to “+child1” into its own folder.

The + trick works for alot of email systems but it is not universal

True, there are email providers who do not support RFC 5233. And not all use the “+” sign.

Here are a few examples:
Andrew Project (plus), Runbox (plus), Gmail (plus), Rackspace (plus), Yahoo! Mail Plus (hyphen), Apple’s iCloud (plus), Outlook.com (plus), Proton Mail (plus), Fastmail (plus), postale.io (plus), Pobox (plus), MeMail (plus), MMDF (equals), Qmail and Courier Mail Server (hyphen).

If you can add aliases to your email account (email address child@ also goes to your normal email address), that is another workaround.

Hoping for some help with the “another user is using the same e-mail address” issue. I am the unit Scoutmaster and SB admin but I can’t seem to fix it. My council was unable to help. The problem started when our recharter went through.
User: (name removed by Moderator)
BSA ID: 12887780

She is listed as a parent to SB User IDs (all or were in different units)
2616474 BSA ID 135674325

Thanks,
Brian Cope

@BrianCope1 This is fixed

@BrianCope1 I deleted your whole post because we do not want to list Personal data in an open forum - I will send you a direct message > look at top right Avatar to find it > it will be a green dot with a number 1 > it will be a private message channel with select members of the Scoutbook User Advisory Council (SUAC)

Hi, I have a similar issue with “warning, another user…” perhaps an old second account? Can a system admin please delete the old account? Thanks!

This is fixed. You had 2 Scoutbook accounts because one had your middle name and the other your middle initial so the system could not match them.

1 Like

Hoping I can get an assist along the same lines.
134887083 - primary BSA ID
12627328 - old BSA ID

Would someone pleases combine those for me? I am unable to do it.

Thanks!

-dan

@DanielSmith14 I have merged your Scoutbook accounts.

Please contact your local council and ask them to use their Registrar Tools to look up your child (or children). In the Relationships" section, you should be listed as parent under BSA 134887083. They should remove you if listed as parent under any other numbers. Otherwise, your BSA numbers might get switched at Recharter.

Thank you! Everything looks great and I verified that both of my scouts have relationships with only the correct BSA ID.
I there a reason to keep the other one around? If not, how would I go about deleting it?

@DanielSmith14

BSA Member IDs (MID) can’t be merged, only managed. This is why we put additional MIDs you have on your my.scouting.org ID as secondary.

I saw that the additional info was put in the MID. That should make it less confusing.

You said “MIDs can’t be merged, only managed.” Am I right that that also means they also can’t be removed? I got here because I hit the “Remove Member ID” button on the “Manage Member IDs” page thinking it would completely remove it completely and not just remove it from that page account.

I assume a lot of people have 2 from going to SB first and creating one ID and then going to my.scouting.org and creating another. That’s how I got 2.

Suggestions:

1. Change the wording on the Manage Member ID page to say “Remove the Member ID from this account”.
  2. Long term there really should be a way to remove or merge IDs for a user.

Thank you for all of your help!

-dan

I am having this issue as well. I appear to have two accounts.

@RebekahLabell

Your 2nd Scoutbook account was deleted yesterday but you still had 2 my.scouting.org IDs. I have merged these. Use the Google Login button to log in to all BSA systems.

@DanielSmith14 You can only see the parent / child relationships that I am talking about when you log in to my.scouting and go to “My Application”. If you have the correct parent / child relationships set up, you will see your children there.

You have the parent / child relationship to child A under BSA 134887083. Your parent / child relationship to child B is under the other BSA member ID number.

Your local council needs to fix this for you using their Registrar Tools.