Is Scoutbook down (4/12/2021 11:30am CDT)?

Trying to use the Calendar, Dashboard and several other pages and I keep getting this error:

# Whoops! We encountered an error trying to process your request.

Our webmaster has been notified and will fix it ASAP!

3 Likes

I have that issue too. Planned outages usually have a maintenance page and announced ahead of time so whatever is the issue does not seem to have been pre-planned.

1 Like

I’m wondering if there is an outage also… I’ve been trying for a while and it just times out and shows the Whoops page. Any update Scoutbook?

Same here… I know today is when they remove non-registered adults from scoutbook, so might be related to that. I hope I’m not removed… I’m Cubmaster, lol.

This “Zero Touch, Zero Support” model for the paying customers and users of the product is ridiculous …

Scoutbook is free now, but I agree the customer service could be a lot better.

BSA IT has been notified.

1 Like

There is no support that I have ever found for scoutbook. It is slow and hard to use. The one time I need in to do some work and booom…down. Ugg.

I haven’t been able to get to my Den’s calendar in 2 or 3 months. It is definitely a buggy system.

IT has fixed the DB issue that was preventing access again this morning.

1 Like

That sounds like a registration/access issue, not an IT outage issue Tim.

Tim,
I sent you a direct message. Click on your icon in the upper right and then the envelope.

Although outages are never fun and Scoutbook does have it’s shortcomings, the help here from the volunteer support staff is typically very good. It may not be as verbose as we’d like to see sometimes but being part of the Scouting organization we should attempt to practice what we preach to the kids and voice any frustrations with respect and supporting info so that something can potentially be done about them.

3 Likes

I pay for my own children’s registration, as well as my own as a Scout volunteer (Scoutmaster). I also attend council camps (pay for me and mine), buy and sell popcorn, and both contribute and canvas for Friends of Scouting. I am the very definition of a paying customer.

I spend HOURS in the scouting systems weekly. I have used BSA tools as well as Scoutbook.com since 2014.

And I work in Technology, as I have for more than 20 years.

Nevertheless I invest more time to “voice any frustrations with respect and supporting info so that something can potentially be done about them.” I have contributed my observations Here, Here, Here and extensively Here and Here.

And yet many of those issues still remain. Unresolved. Unacknowledged.

BSA IT does not monitor this space. They rely on the volunteers from the User Advisory Council to escalate issues and items to them.

And so as a heavily invested, paying customer, I resent this decision. Tell me another organization that only affords the paid support staff to the paid staff, and none to the paying customer …

So yes I am frustrated. And without violating any of the scouting values, nor the community rules of this site, I feel that I am justified in expressing that frustration, and vocally advocating for change.

1 Like

Bill - there was no message from you, but all of my normal info and was back as usual and my son was back in my account again. Thanks.

Tim

Tim Gossett
Director of User Experience, Aboundant LLC
m:319.774.7372 | e:tim@aboundant.com | w:https://aboundant.org | a:515 Bremer Ave., Waverly, IA, 50677

1 Like

Mark,
Feel free to summarize any outstanding issues you have that have not been addressed and that would take programmer attention to me at suacinformation@gmail.com and I will forward it along to programming.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.